PTrader: (0/0%)
Is my tank overstocked?

My tank is 200L (53 gallons) and it contains:
6 neon tetras
8 glass bloodfin tetras
5 small angelfish
4 sterbais cory cats
1 bristlenose pleco
the tank is planted with a piece of driftwood.

and i want to add a large school of rummy nose tetra of around 30 or 20 but would this overstock my tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Definitely cannot fit the rummy's IMO. Also, when those angels grow up I think you'll have a tight squeeze.

What filtration do you have running? What is your w/c schedule?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 on the angels. Plus those neons might well become an expensive snack for them when they get some size.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Algae Grower

Your existing stock is fine but unless you have some serious over-filtration there's no way you should add more fish to this tank. Best thing would be to start another tank, cycle it, then get your 20-30 rummys. More tanks=more fun.

Using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Algae Grower

With good filtration capacity it should be no problem. My 41 gallon Osaka houses about 55 fish that include tetras, danios, platys, rams, corys and a bristle nose pleco with no ill effects........everyone is healthy and happy. No conflicts among them. The filter is a Fluval 306 and I run a small bubble stick in the back. Once a week vacuum, glass clean and 25% water change; once every 3-4 months I breakdown the filter for cleaning.

Fluval Osaka 155
Fluval 306 Cannister - GLS Primo CO2 In-Line Injection - Kessil A150W Pendant LED
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have about 100 fish in a 50 gallon. No ill effects whatsoever. You'll notice people here are conservative when it comes to stocking.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Sterbais get big, so do the angels and the rummy nose aren't very petite when they are full grown either. You could go with some rummynose, but I would keep it to maybe a dozen or so and not the 30 you were originally thinking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL_RIP View Post
You'll notice people here are conservative when it comes to stocking.
This is true, but I think for good reason. Most assume average filtration and average maintenance, which for most means water changes every few weeks.

If you are over filtered and committed to more frequent water changes you can definitely push the stocking levels much much higher. I used to do this, extensively. However, a couple time a year things would come up and my normal maintenance routine would slip water quality would drop and the fish would either be stressed, I'd have outbreaks, or outright deaths. This added unnecessary stress to the hobby and ended up taking away a lot of the joy. I wold recommend leaving a little wiggle room to account for life's little eventualities.

Bottom line is that tank stocking comes down to whether you can maintain high water quality, account for species specific space requirements and behavior, and account for inter and intra-species relations within a given stocking density.

I would recommend a second tank for the Rummy's in anticipation of your angels growing and then likely pairing off and turning your tank into a war zone excluding all fish from probably a third of your tank once they choose a spawning site.

Either way I wish you good luck.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a low tech tank and it is heavily planted, and because of that I can have a pretty large bioload. I have 30 red eye tetras, 60 rummy nose, 20 zebra danios, 10 amano shrimps, and a zillion snails all within a 55 gallon. I have no issues with them and everyone is happy; although, I did lose about 10 rummy noses...After some research, I've realized how picky these fishes are. I have a low tech tank and all I do is top off the tank when I can (water is prepped and water is similar in temp) since I have a heavily planted low tech tank. Since my first top off, I've slowly observed the rummy noses. They seem to get stressed when I top off the tank. But it seems through time, they do start to get used to topping off as they get conditioned. But just a fair warning, from my experience.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode