Shipping out LARGE fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Shipping out LARGE fish

Thought I might get more responses on this area of the forum.

I know there is a lot of information about shipping fish out there on the internet and even on this forum, but not so much for shipping BIG fish, plus I have a few questions I can't find answers to.

I'm shipping a school(6) of 7" Eartheaters from California to Minnesota. We're doing 2-day Priority EXPRESS shipping at the cost of about $150. They will be bagged individually in 12x24" bags, filled with just enough water to cover the fish(about 4 or 5 pounds each), making it about 1/3 water and 2/3 pure oxygen. I'm renting an oxygen tank from a local welding supply. Each bag will then be inverted and bagged again, so that they're double-bagged with no corners in the bag. They're being shipped in a 26Lx18Wx13T cardboard box with a styro box inside of that. I will be adding heat packs since it's winter. They will be dropped off at my local USPS store around 4pm - the latest they accept shipments is 5 PM but since I don't know my way around my new town yet I want to give myself an extra hour in case I get lost. I get lost really easily.

So I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with...
I practiced bagging one Geo so that I could weigh the bag and est. shipping weight. When I dropped the fish into the bag of water it FREAKED OUT and started splashing around, which put a few small holes in the bag(they have somewhat spiny fins)...When I inverted the bag and added the second bag, the holes were sealed up and there was no more water leaking. After that the fish was calm...however I'd really like to avoid the fish putting holes in the bags when I first drop them in, if possible. How can I keep them calm when bagging so that they don't flip out&puncture the bags?

I'm renting an oxygen tank from my local welding supply, but I don't know what size tank to rent. Will their smallest tank, 20cubic feet, definitely be large enough? I would assume so but I'm not sure.

I've read a lot of conflicting information on heat packs. Since I'm using a large box I know that I will need at least two of them. So I'm wondering, how many heat packs should I use(taped to the top of the styro box & wrapped in newspaper), what time length(20 hour, 60 hour, 70...?) should I use, and where can I get them from?

This is all I can think of right now. Would really appreciate advice from anyone who's had experience shipping, I'm very nervous as this is my first time & REALLY need it to go well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/96%)
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...n_Arowana.html

not sure if that helps, but thats someone shipping an arowana
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you, I'll check out that link

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I read somewhere that oxygen for welding can have other stuff in it that's bad for the fish... I don't know if it's true.
How to keep one calm? I suggest scooping it gently into a cup full of water and pouring it as gently as possible into the bag. If it still flips out, triple-bag it just to be sure because there isn't much you can do about it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
I read somewhere that oxygen for welding can have other stuff in it that's bad for the fish... I don't know if it's true.
How to keep one calm? I suggest scooping it gently into a cup full of water and pouring it as gently as possible into the bag. If it still flips out, triple-bag it just to be sure because there isn't much you can do about it.
Thank you, that's a good idea.
There's really no other place to get oxygen, to get medical-grade you have to have a prescription.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

bump
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Welding O2 is fine. Used if for years when I ran a wholesale facility. How long are they going go be in the bag? With only one fish per bag plain air will be good for one day any more then use the O2. Perging the fish is the most important step.

JKaz
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz442 View Post
Welding O2 is fine. Used if for years when I ran a wholesale facility. How long are they going go be in the bag? With only one fish per bag plain air will be good for one day any more then use the O2. Perging the fish is the most important step.

JKaz
I'm going to starve them for probably 4 or 5 days with water changes every day.
We are planning on doing 2-day shipping, so they should be shipped out on the 10th and they should arrive on the 12th. They'll be bagged with pure oxygen. Afters some people were doubtful they'd survive the 2-day trip I'm a bit wary of guaranteeing live arrival for it. What do you think? Will they make it, or is there a good chance they won't?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode