Calling any structural aquarium guru's. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Calling any structural aquarium guru's.

I picked up a nearly free 90 gallon tank with the common dimensions 4ft by 1.5ft by 2 ft...

The framing is cracked in the corners and it leaks when over 1/2 full from the base.

1. Has anybody had any luck purchasing a replacement frame only from a vendor like oceanic or all glass?

2. What actually acts to hold the glass together. When the tank is full, is it the silicone or is it the upper and lower frame that takes the majority of the stress?

3. I like DIY stuff, so I'm not opposed to a lot of work, just not a lot of $$.

4. And one more crazy idea. has anybody ever tried to make a fiberglass frame - or is there another material that could handle any possible stresses?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 05:23 PM

don't listen to me, but i would just go out and buy a brand new tank. i think that, without taking it apart and rebuilding, it wuld be hard to maintain reliable seals on that aquarium.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would say both the silicone and the frames. It is possible to build rimless aquariums, but it is quite difficult. Check the DIY forum for Scolley's 75. The frames are to take some of the stress off the silicone. You will probably need to strip all the silicone and start over. Get really good silicone.

There are actually many tanks that use materials other than glass. Plywood tanks actually used to be pretty popular.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Oh, yeah, in the end, this will cost you more than buying a new tank, so I wouldn't do this unless you are

1. Really committed to the idea of DIY for fun
2. Willing to buy equipment
3. Willing to accept the risk of tank failure
4. Trying to build a rimless tank
5. Willing to take a lot of time out to do it

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
I concur, the silicone is the binder and seal for the glass seems, but the frame and most importantly the center brace are the key structural components (and the silicone holds those in place).

If you contact the maker of the tank, you may be able to just get a new frame.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: All-glass sells upper frames for their tanks only....

Only $27 for the 90 gallon!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 06:46 PM

i have an additional opinion......

unless you want to try to rebuild as a rimless tank, it really doesn't seem worth the expense and time.

it could be pretty cool as rimless tank. you might even consider having a glass shop cutting all four side peices down to just ~12" high. that will make it easier to put together it all together and cut down risk of seem failure a lot. is the glass in good shape (i.e., free of scratches)?

a real shallow, open-topped tank with those dimensions could look real cool.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone... You really get my imagination running. It's just so hard having a big EMPTY sitting there doing nothing!! I ordered the trim, and picked up some silicone... IF this doesn't work, it's back to the classifieds with this guy. I got it so cheap, there's no way i'm loosing money on it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
The problem with repairing a tank is that you cannot get a good bind or seal applying new silicone over old silicone. So in order to do it properly, you would need to strip the old silicone completely and reseal. Otherwise you will have an accident waiting to happen.

Silicone is the primary structural component and sealer. The trim is secondary, and in some cases strickly aesthetic, depending on manufacturer.

If you reseal it, make sure you get a high quality, aquarium safe 100% silicone. Make sure it has no additives for mold inhibition. The best aquarium silicone I know of is GE RTV, but you may have to search for it.

Just remember if not done properly, you could have 90 gallons of water in your home, probably at the most inopportune time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode