Dabbling with planted aquariums! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow Dabbling with planted aquariums!

Hello All!

So I am new to all of this, well not fish tanks but planted tanks. I am in the process of tearing down my 120g 6’ tank and setting up my old 55g for a planted aquarium. Now I want to take the 120g down and do a bunch of things to it clean, build canopy, re-work stand and a bunch of little things that will take me awhile to complete, plus it will be pretty expensive to stock a 120 with everything and prep it all up. Figure I’ll start out with the 55g for some practice till I eventually got it down and by that time I will have a good stock to start my 120!
Tanks currently running but I got it striped down took most sand from it for the 55g and the Manzanita and some rocks keeping cichlids in the 120 till I get fish so no need to cycle

I’m thinking I want to start off with some easy plants (not all of them though)
• Some jungle vals
• Anubis nana petit
• Water sprite
• Water wisteria
• Hygrophila polysperma
• Bolbitis heudelotii
• Anacharis
• Java moss
• Salvinia floater or something similar

From what I gather these plants should all do well with low light?

Light: im running 2 t5ho fixtures no reflectors

Filtration: 500gph canister filter plus 2 power heads with sponge filters 150gph,250gph for extra flow

running pressurized co2 nv55 needle valve and power head for diffusion

Now my questions

1. my sub straight gravel capped with sand? Besides issues with anaerobic pockets do you guys see anything wrong with this? I have a few areas where I built up the gravel pretty thick 4’’ or so capped with about an inch and a half of sand to build a hill at one end of the tank

2. The plants I have picked out so far will they do well under the lighting I have?

3. Do I need to, or should I add something like excel ? dry ferts ? or will my fish take care of that?

4. Where could I order all the plants to stock my tank at one time? (local selection is lacking)

i will post a pic of the tank when i get a chance to snap a few!

EDIT:
running 2 t5 54 watt w/o reflectors that i got for free now

and also procured a co2 tank and reg for free from my brother just need a good needle valve and something for diffusion

Last edited by nick4203; 03-04-2015 at 08:35 PM. Reason: updates on equipment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC
Plants should fair well with that lighting and on the sand over your gravel ... planting a few plants and a few rescapes thats going to settle under your gravel in no time. As for ferts i would stick to a few root tabs for your stemmed plants and dont start dosing like crazy yet, my experience from doing so just created algae.

Whats in your glass box?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I really like the look of sand over most other substraights. I have noticed most people go with a 2 inch layer of what ever substraight. i am wanting to build up the substraight pretty thick in spots whats the best way to do this?

ps:this tank will only be set up for about a year or so till i figure out what im doing and have enough stock to fill out my 125g

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

here are some pics of my start so far

2-9

2-9

2-10

2-18

3-2

3-7

3-14
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

1 year update

ill try and find some pics of the tank

So tank has been going very well except for a co2 degassing and killing a bunch of fish a couple months ago.
that was up until i was out of town for 3 weeks tank crashed co2 ran out and tank filled with string algae i think i was in need of a good fertilizing as well along with a wc. Also replaced the bulbs as they were really old aswell. i never EI dosed only osmocote fert caps under the plants. Also im not the greatest on the wc schedule and that is the main reason i have been avoiding EI

so i pulled out most of the algae attached to what was left of the Anacharis, replenished the fert caps and co2. Then added a few different plants and tank is now bouncing back. Once its doing well im going to change over to the 120 gallon tank!
still have string algae but it looks to be diminishing i hope so at least.

Overview:
osmocote tabs(no EI), pressurized co2, 2 t5ho no reflector, minimal wc's, minimal inhabitants 5 cory cats and a tetra and a fleet of snails

i keep looking and looking and cant find anyone running pressurized co2 with out EI why is that?

also

I was talking to the guy at the welding shop where i exchange my co2 tank and he is into reef tanks i was talking to him about dual stage regs and he was talking about running two regulators in line to each other anyone haveadvice about this?

Last edited by nick4203; 03-04-2015 at 09:46 PM. Reason: missing some info
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Planted Member

Well if i have any advice its get rid of half that anacharis, and try some other plants. There are some low light reds like indian red sword. Many species of crypts that look good like pontederfolio (sp?).
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yea its all gone except one stem of it in my tank. The tank crashed because my co2 ran out when i was out of town for too long and was do for some major maintenance (WC, ferts,ect)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

anacharis is a weed and doesnt need any help from co2 to take over :/ hope you get back on the horse w/ this tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the plants are bouncing back really well along with the new plants, except i got string algae that wont stop. i been pulling it out once every 2 weeks over the last month or 2. my tank is all out of balance at this point, im getting ready to swap over to the 120 g

when i do the swap im thinking im going to have to start EI or some type of fertilizing regiment osmocot caps dont seem to be enough i think

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode