Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: central california
Dabbling with planted aquariums!
So I am new to all of this, well not fish tanks but planted tanks. I am in the process of tearing down my 120g 6’ tank and setting up my old 55g for a planted aquarium. Now I want to take the 120g down and do a bunch of things to it clean, build canopy, re-work stand and a bunch of little things that will take me awhile to complete, plus it will be pretty expensive to stock a 120 with everything and prep it all up. Figure I’ll start out with the 55g for some practice till I eventually got it down and by that time I will have a good stock to start my 120!
Tanks currently running but I got it striped down took most sand from it for the 55g and the Manzanita and some rocks keeping cichlids in the 120 till I get fish so no need to cycle
I’m thinking I want to start off with some easy plants (not all of them though)
• Some jungle vals
• Anubis nana petit
• Water sprite
• Water wisteria
• Hygrophila polysperma
• Bolbitis heudelotii
• Java moss
• Salvinia floater or something similar
From what I gather these plants should all do well with low light?
Light: im running 2 t5ho fixtures no reflectors
Filtration: 500gph canister filter plus 2 power heads with sponge filters 150gph,250gph for extra flow
running pressurized co2 nv55 needle valve and power head for diffusion
Now my questions
1. my sub straight gravel capped with sand? Besides issues with anaerobic pockets do you guys see anything wrong with this? I have a few areas where I built up the gravel pretty thick 4’’ or so capped with about an inch and a half of sand to build a hill at one end of the tank
2. The plants I have picked out so far will they do well under the lighting I have?
3. Do I need to, or should I add something like excel ? dry ferts ? or will my fish take care of that?
4. Where could I order all the plants to stock my tank at one time? (local selection is lacking)
i will post a pic of the tank when i get a chance to snap a few!
running 2 t5 54 watt w/o reflectors that i got for free now
and also procured a co2 tank and reg for free from my brother just need a good needle valve and something for diffusion
Last edited by nick4203; 03-04-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Reason: updates on equipment