Angelfish burying in the substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Angelfish burying in the substrate?

Hello. I have an odd question about an occurrence I haven't heard of before, but has happened to me. The angelfish in my 55 gallon have been doing pretty well adjusting over the last 3 days, but they are very skittish when we go by the tank. This morning I could still only find 4 of the 5 fish. Was looking around the tank and my girlfriend discovered a tail sticking up from the substrate. Yes it was an angelfish tail. It had buried itself face down into the black diamond. I figured it must be dead because I had no idea how long it had been like that, so I decided to get it out ASAP. As soon as I disturbed the area around it, it took off around the tank and now seems fine. I can't even really tell exactly which one it was. Has anyone had this happen before? I can't really even think how it did it, I guess it was scared and just swam straight down? It was earlier this morning and we hadn't even really been in the room so I don't think we scared it. I have been watching them and I am also pretty certain that it isn't some aggressive behavior getting out of had either. So far they have shown no behavior towards one another. Anyway, anyone have any thought? Something to worry about or freak occurrence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm new to planted tanks but have been keeping angels a long time and that's a new one to me. I always say angelfish are the most misnamed fish around cause of their aggressiveness, but haven't seen one bury itself like that.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
New to me , too. Only reason I could think of like trying to hide , really makes no sense. I would assume even the most scared fish would just go berserk around the tank rather than do that. Some form of hiding may actually make them hide less. Even if it is a rock leaned in a corner or most anything should make them feel more at ease but burrowing in would be extreme something! Something what, I don't know!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode