What do they see that I don't? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (22/100%)
What do they see that I don't?

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I have taken a look at the results of the 2007 AGA Aquascaping Contest and I cannot for the life of me understand some of the top picks of the contest.

There are at least 2 picks that I am baffled received an award. I am not mentioning any specifics for obvious reasons, I don't want to offend anyone.

I am really wondering what the judges see that I don't see. I understand about depth and such, but some of the choices really baffle me.

Seems like you instantly got bonus points if you (a) did amano style (b) used moss (c) used wood/twigs or (d) all of the above.

Maybe its just me.

-Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 03:30 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
do you have a link i would like to take look.
cheers
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 03:52 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
it's ok... looks good to me.

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...tegory=0&vol=2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...tegory=0&vol=2

Edit: oops too late lol.

- Fishlover
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Tanks :
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
It's my opinion that contests like AGA adhere to a very strict standard of grading. It isn't up to you, or even the judges to decide whether something looks good, because then it would be a matter of taste. I am sure they have some kind of "ideal" tank that they are comparing against.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I also don't see how they gave bonus points for amano style. I think amano's tanks are really great, but not that many people can pull them off and have them really look good.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
I also don't see how they gave bonus points for amano style. I think amano's tanks are really great, but not that many people can pull them off and have them really look good.
It was a figure of speech. They don't give "bonus points".

That tank that was posted above is not a tank I am talking about btw.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 05:03 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
just come out and tell us which tank you're talking about.. We have no idea what your complaint is.. If you don't want to say then just close this thread.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 05:31 AM
Algae Grower

I think that many of those tanks are "innovative." For example, the tanks with a freaking waterfall!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I don't know what it was this year, maybe I'm becoming jaded. Maybe I've seen so many fantastic aquascapes that it takes something so incredibly over the top different to really stand out... I dunno. Not that their weren't a LOT of really really really amazing tanks...

... but I think I've liked other years better.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

These three that were highly awarded I simply don't get:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...=0&vol=0&id=20
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...=0&vol=0&id=65
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...y=0&vol=2&id=5

All of the other ones that were awarded I thought were awesome. Some were simply stunning. It's just the three I mentioned above I cannot understand. I am NOT saying that they are bad WHATSOEVER.

Remember, this is just my opinion and am in fact wondering what is really being judged. I definitely admit that I am a fan of the "dutch style" tanks altogether so my opinions can definitely be biased.

So someone please tell me what the judges see that they like. I am not saying they are misjudged, perhaps there is something I am missing and I need to know about...

Thanks,
Ryan

p.s. this was my personal favorite out of all those awarded: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...0&vol=1&id=190
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
the first link with the tree and the "sand river" was georgeous imo! the planning trimming and all of the thought that was put into it must have been emmense.

the others looked like awesome tanks that were great in their own right. that first one though, woah! i would live to have that in my home with some crs or rcs and a few c.habrosus trolling around.

but again this is coming from a guy with many years keeping fish and maybe a year or two TRYING to make his tank look as healthy as the inhabitants.

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Algae Grower

The first one is exactly what I'm thinking of when I say innovative. I've only been in this hobby a couple years, but that's something that I've never seen before, and it's done very well. The way it simulates a creekside scene in such a small area is uncanny. There's even rocky cliff on the right side of the sandy area!

The second one doesn't do much for me either. Maybe the textures blend well? Otherwise it looks like a lot of other top end tanks do. BTW what's going on in the bottom right corner? That area doesn't even look clean to me.

I was quite surprised by the Best of Show pick too. I think this one, like the first, makes a very small environment look like a much larger, naturally occurring one.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I liked the first one. With the moss tree. It blew me away actually.

The last two I agree that there were better ones in the category. I dont know why the judges chose them. To me, it seems to be really really well trimmed tanks...

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
The one with the sand waterfall was truly amazing.

--Daniel

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode