Plants dying, leaves falling off or dissolving - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello,
This is my tank set-up...
Planted only tank - although want to add fish once the tank is established...
90 litre tank, thermostat set to 26C, TMC Aquabar 500 freshwater LED light in addition to original light that came with the hood, JBL brand injected CO2 via inline UP atomiser, TetraTex 600 external filter - activated carbon removed, 10 litres of Colombo Flora-Base, EI dosing.
Schedule: CO2 started one hour before lights are on, off one hour before lights off. Lights switched on for 8.5 hours a day. CO2 has been adjusted so that the drop checked is pale green after 1 hour of CO2 injection
I have had this set-up close to 3 weeks now. The problem I have is that every day I am picking out dropped leaves from the tank. One green leaved species of plant in particular have had its leaves dissolve over the last 4 days with only the top leaves remaining.
In addition, there are a lot of leaves that are curling and look like they are starting to crinkle. Some leaves have already showed this characteristic before falling off the plant.
What I am doing wrong? It's really starting to annoy me now! So many plants are just stems and a few small leaves. When the plants arrived they were all lush and bright with full leaves. Purchased from AquaEssentials

p.s.

These are the same plants as they arrived in the post from a UK seller 3 weeks ago. Notice how all the lovely leaves have disappeared over the last three weeks.
When these plants first arrived I only had a ceramic co2 diffuser which was inside the tank and placed under the spray bar. I could not get the spot checker green so I purchased an inline atomiser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	268801  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	268809  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-03-2014 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
It looks like you have been moving things around a bit so it could just be shock.

More than likely though, it appears that your stems were probably grown emergent which is common for commercial vendors. They normally drop leaves when converting to submersed growth. Give it some time.

I see you are located in England. Be sure to check out UKAPS.org. They can probably give you more pointed advice.

Regards,
Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

48G Rimless Mr Aqua
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
For most larger leaf stem plants this seems to be expected, when changing water conditions. It frustrated me very much in the beginning, as I believed I was doing something wrong, but I continued to take out the dropped leaves and after 2-4 weeks things started to stabilize. Now only Ludwigia glandulosa is not fully back, but everything else is growing too fast

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
yep as most people have stated its probably the fact the plants are transitioning from emergent to submergent growth or even to different water parameters. Just give it time to recover and as long as you see new growth youll have healthy plants in no time!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
My crypts, Vals and anacharis all melted before they started to show signs of new growth. I threw away most of my anachris stems without realizing that they will come back. The few stems that I kept look dead and brown but there are new shoots growing out of the ends.

Tags
co2 equipment, dying plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode