Companions for Shrimp in a 55 Gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Companions for Shrimp in a 55 Gallon?

I'm gonna breed shrimp in a 55 Gallon and put them in a pond as food when the population gets too high (i explain more in https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=543409
but I think it would be boring without some fish so what fish wouldn't eat many shrimp?
I don't want otos (I think they look cool but they just aren't for me) I've seen Celestial Pearl Danios on liveaquaria that don't grow over an inch but they could still probably eat shrimplets
I've heard that Corys Are good with shrimp but I'd want Emerald Greens so I don't know how they'd do with shrimp since they're one of the biggest type of cories Panda Corys would be my second pick as far as corys go
other than that I have no ideas so do you know if the fish I listed would work and I'd love to hear about what's worked for you and what hasn't
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

bump
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've been keeping a school of microrasboras (Boras sp) in a small tank with Cherries, and while I'm sure they don't pass up an easy shrimplet snack the shrimp population is doing just fine. I have another tank where cardinals were the fish stock and they did fine for about six months, but I suddenly have no shrimp, so looks like they held off as long as they could and then...Dinner!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Algae Grower

Rule of thumb, from what I'm told, is any fish whose mouth is too small to fit a whole shrimp in. I've had success with leopard corydoras, neon tetras and harlequin rasboras. They *will* go after shrimplets if they find them, but as long as the shrimp have plenty of hiding spots and cover, there should be ample population growth. I have juvenile amano shrimp right now and none of my fish, my dwarf gourami included, goes after them.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Algae Grower

Otocinclus
Coryadoras
Small fish will probably go after them but if the shrimp have hidings spots and population growth then smaller fish would be okay.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

how would emerald green or panda corys work?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew. View Post
how would emerald green or panda corys work?
Those should be fine with them as well. Corys are the best other than otos and neon tetras. Im going to start up a 55 gallon soon with cherries, neon tetras, corys, and hatchets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

do you think Celestial Pearl Danios would be ok if I only had 4? they have them on Liveaquaria and they only get to about an inch
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Algae Grower

I know they're not for everyone but a couple of male endlers would be nice. As all fish, they will grab the odd shrimplet but they don't actively hunt them down ime
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 10:28 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
I just got some CPD, and it's too early to tell how they're going to work out with my shrimp, but I've been surprised at how aggressively they hunt -- sniffing through the moss, going through rock piles. I almost wouldn't be surprised to see them swimming through some pieces of cholla.

I'm going to be adding some more cholla and some moss-wrapped wire mesh tubes as shrimplet savers in the near future.

BTW, I also have some dwarf emerald rasboras (cousins of CPD -- http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...erythromicron/ ). I've had them a lot longer than the CPD and I haven't seen them hunting as aggressively. It could be because they're in a smaller tank so they're more worried about territorial disputes, or because they're the only fish in the tank so there's no competition for food, or some other reason that I don't know about.

Last edited by jrh; 02-02-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: added info
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks for the replies I'm probably gonna put 5 Emerald Cories in it once the shrimp population is pretty big and I might put 4 or 5 Celestial Pearl Danios in too because they look a lot like little trout lol
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:54 AM
Algae Grower

I'm currently keeping and have been keeping for at least 10 months the following with amonos and cherries:
Guppies, Endlers, Mollies, cardinal tetras, neon tetras, juli corries, silver and marble hatchet fish.

Kepping with amanos only:
all the above along with, female betta, german blue and electric blue rams

*EDIT*
Just re read and noticed the key words, breeding and shrimplets. The fish I listed above have not been around shrimplets haha.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode