Max Dosing for Planted Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Max Dosing for Planted Tank?

I set up a 5.5 gallon planted tank yesterday with Flourite Black, two pieces of driftwood and some plants. I plan to cycle it for a month before considering what to add fish-wise very much.

Today I bought some Flourish Comprehensive... Until I add fish to the tank, how much can I dose and how often? I'd do a hefty water change before adding any fish. I just want the plants to grow out a bit.

Over the 5.5 gallon tank, I have a 14W = 60W CFL bulb (not a fancy fixture, it holds a room lightbulb) and on the darkest side of the tank I have a lamp with a 13W = 40W CFL bulb. They're both around 5000K.

Aside from CO2, what else can I do to make my plants grow as fast as possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Add a complete fertilizer, including N, P and K.
Comprehensive (I think) has low to no macros, it is more of a micros fert.

Here is the maximum dose of nitrogen you can give a tank:
Cycle the tank by adding ammonia, but not higher than about 1 ppm. Many plants are OK a bit higher (some are OK a lot higher), but many are not. 1 ppm will grow plenty of bacteria, though. You can test and bring the level up to 1 ppm twice a day.

You can dose P in a ratio with the N. Something like 1 part P to 10 parts N, though the exact ratio is not that critical. So whatever source of P you are using, you will have to do some math to figure it out.

K can be dosed a lot, too. Easily equal to the amount of N.

The nitrifying bacteria will be using the ammonia and carbonates, so keep these up. They probably use a very small amount of the trace minerals, so whatever dose is the maximum on the label, use that.

What are the actual wavelengths of the bulbs you are using?
The K value is a sort of average of how our eyes see the light. Not really applicable to plants. Get an accurate PAR reading for those bulbs. You might invest in a PAR meter, or join a club that has one available and borrow it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Add a complete fertilizer, including N, P and K.
Comprehensive (I think) has low to no macros, it is more of a micros fert.

Here is the maximum dose of nitrogen you can give a tank:
Cycle the tank by adding ammonia, but not higher than about 1 ppm. Many plants are OK a bit higher (some are OK a lot higher), but many are not. 1 ppm will grow plenty of bacteria, though. You can test and bring the level up to 1 ppm twice a day.

You can dose P in a ratio with the N. Something like 1 part P to 10 parts N, though the exact ratio is not that critical. So whatever source of P you are using, you will have to do some math to figure it out.

K can be dosed a lot, too. Easily equal to the amount of N.

The nitrifying bacteria will be using the ammonia and carbonates, so keep these up. They probably use a very small amount of the trace minerals, so whatever dose is the maximum on the label, use that.

What are the actual wavelengths of the bulbs you are using?
The K value is a sort of average of how our eyes see the light. Not really applicable to plants. Get an accurate PAR reading for those bulbs. You might invest in a PAR meter, or join a club that has one available and borrow it.
So I can add pure ammonia to the tank while it cycles to boost plant growth? Can I continue adding it up until I decide to get fish, or only while the tank cycles?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode