Planted Discus tank suggestions wanted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Planted Discus tank suggestions wanted

Hey all,

The girlfriend and I got a free 125 with stand that someone used to keep as a planted tank. We currently have 2 xp3's on it cycling and have black tahitian moon sand as a substrate. What are some good low light plants that can do well in a planted tank with discus? We are planning on using some Amazon swords in the background but would like to know what our options are for foregrounds, carpeting plants especially. I have a high light 55 planted tank that is doing well, but I still consider myself very new to the planted tank thing.

With regards to the sand, it was orginally going to be a cichlid tank but she took a good look at the scape cichlids require and didnt want a rock tank. Any suggestions to make the sand a bit more plant friendly would be welcome as well.

Oh, and I would really appreciate it if you could post some of your non bare bottom discus tanks. I'd like to see what your scapes look like and what you might have mixed in with your discus.

Thanks!
-Mysphit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 04:07 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Man - did you snag that tank from that caga dude? Beat me by a few minutes. I think your best approach would be to bring it over to my house, and let me maintain it for you!

How much light are you talking about? I've had pretty good luck with dwarf sag in less than 2wpg. IME, other carpets such as ET or marselia quad need relatively higher light.

Also, check the caga site. One guy used to have some pics of his awesome planted discus tank. Around 150g IIRC. But that was a very high tech, high light setup.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
dwarf sag won't really work as a carpet in low light, it does fine, but grows taller and grassy. Marsilea Minuta will work under low light as a carpet.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 04:55 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have a planted 130 gallon discus tank! (but can't post a picture) Invest in Crypts! My crypts seem to love discus temps (82-84) and come in all shapes and sizes. Also I have ruben, Ocelot and Kleiner bar swords. I have some what I think is chain sword for the bottom, but I leave a clean sand area where they can forage (or they'll make one!). Anubias are another good choice. The really thin leafed java fern is doing well too. Another plant that loves the warm temps is riccia also. It floats to the top unless secured though. Also downoi did great until I added BN plecos and spixi snails

Oh, another thing I failed to mention is my tank is non-CO2 low tech, plants doing great.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I did snag it from the CAGA guy. Great looking tank, stand, and decent light fixtures. He definitely had it planted some of the mud was still in the tank and he gave me all his old light bulbs. Definitely not high light as the GF doesnt want to invest heavily in high tech yet.

Thanks for the suggestions with regards to plants. Pretty sure were going to go with some swords since the tank is large enough to have some monster plants and probably go with a few crypts and might look into marsilea.

Ultimately the GF is choosing the end result, its my job to be the voice of reason as a lot of this is new to her... I know I want to go heavily planted, but its going to end up a large tank with a few key plants from the way shes talking... But hey, I cant complain I ended up with a 125 and discus!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode