White Worms? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy White Worms?

Hi, My tank sprung a leak about a month ago, and it took me 2 weeks to replace it (after trying unsucessfully to re-seal it). During the two weeks I had the plants and critters in other tanks.
I was finally able to get everything back together again about 2 weeks ago. Everything seems to be coming back O.K. But today I noticed a white worm crawling around on a piece of wood. From what I could find on-line it may be "Planaria"...they say it's from too much food, and to take the tank apart to kill them , but...*SIGH* I really REALLY don't want to have to do that after all I have been through with my tank. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get rid of them?

Thanks so much
RainSpirit:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 04:16 AM

If it's what i think it is almost every person gets these it's just from overfeeding They do NOTHING although a good 50% water change would be nice. Alot of people can't explain how they come but there harmless and are caused from too much food.
Good luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 06:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
some say that if you have shrimps, you'll have planaria.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 06:15 AM

Thats a lot of work that is probably unnecessary. I noticed I had a huge influx of worms one night after the lights had been out for around 3 hours and I came in and flipped em on. At least 30 of them crawling around in my 55 gallon but with reduced feedings I almost dare say I havent even one in there. I havent seen them in over 4 months and when I did have them they never caused any harm.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
anyone know some fish that eat these worms? i usually ignore them anyway.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Talking What a relief...

Thank's everyone. I feel much better.

I do have shrimp...I had never read anything about these worms before.
It's just wierd that I never had them or noticed them before putting my tank back together again. But then once the light goes off I never turn it back on.

I have so much to learn...Before the leak I had only had it up for 2 1/2 months, and it's my first planted tank.

Thanks again for all the advice
RainSpirit
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I have planaria in my shrimp only tank and so far have been unable to get rid of them. I believe it's from overfeeding. You can get away with feeding shrimp VERY little, or not at all. Any excess food, goes down into the substrate and festers there for these critters to multiply.
I believe some fish will eat them, but if you have a shrimp only tank, you may not want to add fish. I'm planning on tearing the tank down and soaking the wood and substrate in bleach before putting everything back together.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode