Collecting driftwood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Collecting driftwood

I wish i could put all of this in my tank, lol.

gonna grab a piece of this, think it will be okay to use?

Rev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
The major issue is that it is going to float for a really long time until it gets water logged. I'm in the same boat. I some nice DW this summer, mine was fully submerged though. I cleaned it and stored it in the atic until I moved my tank over christmas break. Now I have bags of rocks holding everything down. It's been under the water for a month now and still shows no signs of wanting to stay down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks like it might be a bit too big for my tank, too. Should be good stuff to use though. Looks like it may be a mix of stuff but those upper parts do look like they should be dry. I find lots of wood that has washed up and it rarely has tannin but is a problem to sink. For my use, it is not much trouble as I have really hard water and limestone is so easy to find. I find drilling holes and plastic ties is an easy way until it does decide the time is right. Not easy to rush nature!

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yes driling holes speeds up the process. Use the smallest drill bit in the box.
Some people put their "collected" wood in the oven on "keep warm" (under 200F) for a while to kill bugs etc. I don't and so far it has not caused a problem.
Either way it usually looks better than "bought" driftwood.
BTW: log piles like that sometimes have critters larger than bugs in them.
In a cool spring month I brought home a log to put in the flower garden.
Just picked it up and put it in the back of the pickup truck.
When I got home the warm sun on the log had the water Mocasin that was in it out curled up next to the log in my pickup truck bed.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Boiling can help water log it faster.

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Water Moccasin

That is probably the worst! Worse than bringing home diseases to the fish.

I also keep my eye open for logs and such, but keep commenting, "I wish I had a tank big enough for that!"
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
That is probably the worst! Worse than bringing home diseases to the fish.
What do you mean? Free pet!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I remember I brought home a big piece of DW in the middle of winter. Blast it with my pressure washer poured boiling water over it a few times and put in my 75 jack Dempsey tank. A few hours later an ant colony was pouring out of it!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandelevan View Post
I remember I brought home a big piece of DW in the middle of winter. Blast it with my pressure washer poured boiling water over it a few times and put in my 75 jack Dempsey tank. A few hours later an ant colony was pouring out of it!
Really funny. Did the JD have a good snack?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I think if you took a few different pieces, it would be much easier to water log them. I have personally done it a few times, but it can take a lot of time!
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
How long would DW need to be boiled to sink? I have a nice piece an I boiled it 3-4 times an she still wants to float.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It depends on the wood. First it just speeds it up. It doesn't instantly sink it.
The kind that you find that is smooth and usually light colored is a mother to sink if at all you can. I usually just look for pieces that I drag up from in the water which are already water logged. I also walk the bottoms of streams looking for tree roots that are sticking out from the bank. I also walk the banks of our lakes when they are down near the end of summer. The wood which you find close to or in that water usually is easier to sink because it already was a couple of weeks back.
Actually the weight also will tell you if it's more likely to sink. Remember on Jurassic Park the guy said "is it heavy? then it's probably expensive" well if it's heavy it's probable solid which is more likely to sink.
Well thats about all my experience/w driftwood. Except don't use pine.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
It depends on the wood. First it just speeds it up. It doesn't instantly sink it.
The kind that you find that is smooth and usually light colored is a mother to sink if at all you can. I usually just look for pieces that I drag up from in the water which are already water logged. I also walk the bottoms of streams looking for tree roots that are sticking out from the bank. I also walk the banks of our lakes when they are down near the end of summer. The wood which you find close to or in that water usually is easier to sink because it already was a couple of weeks back.
Actually the weight also will tell you if it's more likely to sink. Remember on Jurassic Park the guy said "is it heavy? then it's probably expensive" well if it's heavy it's probable solid which is more likely to sink.
Well thats about all my experience/w driftwood. Except don't use pine.

So the best thing to do if u can is use slate tile to screw the DW to n bury it under the substrate huh?
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That is likely why most driftwood comes that way in stores.
I never actually leave the house just to look for it but rather spend time walking around the lakes and streams that are around me just because. Just an added bonus to find a piece that will work from time to time. Bough several pieces of the Maylasian and didn't like any but two. One is only fair and the other is too big for a ten g tank. So I just started keeping an eye open for it when I do my nature walks or "collecting" runs
which are about the same thing.

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Just screw them on a tile slate. If you wait for them to sink, you could be waiting a long time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode