Old Bio-Wheel to jump start cycle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Old Bio-Wheel to jump start cycle

Would it work to jump start my cycle a bit if I used the Bio-Wheel from an old, cycled tank and just floated it on top of the tank? Either that...or I'm gonna spend 18 bucks on some BIO-Spira. I'm still gonna cycle it for the necessary time period...I will test regularly to determine the end of the tank's cycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't think it will work if the filter hasnt been in use for a while. My understanding is the bacteria need constant ammonia either from the fish or you manually adding it or they will die off and you will have to recycle the tank.

EDIT:
Hopefully I didn't misunderstand. If you meant a filter that has been in use with fish all the way up until now then yes that would work for jump starting your new cycle.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yep, it's from the tank that the fish that are in the tank now came from. I figure that since you can't OD your tank on BIO-Spira, it prolly cant hurt to throw the bio-wheel in there as well.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
It will definitely help. Would probably work better if you could weight it to the substrate or hack it up and stuff it the new tank's filter, those are the most predominant places for colonization of bacteria. Not so much floating around, they like to adhere to things. Even better if you can put the whole filter on the new tank for a month or so.

Not sure from your post, but make sure if you use Biospira to add a bit of livestock right away and don't mess with checking the cycle too much. Wasn't sure if you meant you're gonna do that with the biowheel alone or the BS. The OD may help speed things up more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If this is to be a planted tank then you can use the Silent Cycle method.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes it should work as long as the bacteria on the biowheel are alive.

Try to get some water flow around it so the bacteria can disperse around the tank.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
If this is to be a planted tank then you can use the Silent Cycle method.
The plant cycle? No offense to Tuba or anyone else, but I don't have enough faith in too many peoples' ability to grow plants or induce uptake to suggest that one yet, new people anyway. Seems like most people let the "pack full with plants" part slip through one ear then out the other also, or choose a bunch of slow growers like microsorum, anubias etc.

But I agree, Tuba, if you follow the planted cycle guidelines which I believe are on Rex's site under "cycling" and also floating around here in places, and actually stuff the tank to the max with fast growing stems like wisteria, ludwigia, watersprite etc and some grasses like sags and vals, then you can save the Biospira money for other things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode