Keeping male and female Bettas together - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Keeping male and female Bettas together

Can it be done if the tank is large enough? I have a 100 gallon that I will be redoing as soon as I can sell the Geophagus Altifrons and Delhezi Bichirs in it. I love Bettas and was wondering if this tank is large enough to keep about 6 or 8 females and 1 male. It will have about medium plant coverage until I can afford to have it heavily planted.
There will also be a lot of other small fish in the tank, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Certain species of wild bettas you can keep together and they will be happy as can be.

Betta's from Petco/Pet Smart, you can keep females in a sorority but not a male with them. Either the male will bully them or the females will gang up and kill him, they may be happy together for a time but it's a time bomb waiting to go off so I don't recommend to do this ever.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Oh! Trade ya bettas for bichirs! (j/k-have no space)
I agree with peachii.
And you can keep a lot more than 9 females in that size tank, for sure.

But, I can't find the thread now, but someone just recently posted pics of 3 adult male bettas living peacefully in a tank that I believe was smaller than yours?

Anything is possible, there are always exceptions, and sometimes things may go right first go around, then go terribly wrong the next with fish personality. All it takes is one bad seed.
The nastiest, baddest fish I ever encountered was a small metallic green male platy. Attacked everything in site, from plants to assorted fish, from acclimation to his brief stay of a day in that tank. (heavily planted 46 gallon, with guppies, gouramis, swords, and other platy who didn't know what to make of "Slasher, the Hit-n-Run Road Rage Fish")

-Stef*

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I keep a male and female in a bowl...going on a good solid year and half.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks guys!
Hmmm now I have to decide if I want to do a sorority or give a few males a try. Decisions, decisions!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Planted Member

I kept 2 males successfully in a 135 a long time ago. They lived in there for a long time, and if they met up they'd do a lot of flaring and showing off but one of them would always leave before it ended in a fight. In most species fighting is a last resort, it's the showing off and "testosterone" bumping that determines the winner. In nature, the loser retreats rather than staying for a death match. It's only when we force them to stay together with no where to run that it gets to fighting.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Planted Member

I have a sorority with seven females in it, but I myself would never put in a male. I just think it would end badly. I read a lot before I started my sorority and if you look there are some scary stories where people tried to keep a male with there females and it would end with either the male being killed one day or most/all of the females being killed. This would often happen after they had lived together for a while to.
Of course, they weren't in 100 gallon tanks that I can remember.
I'm happy with just females in my a tank. Oh my, if I had a 100 gallon tank, I could have a rainbow of girls LOL!

Here's a link to my sorority.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...129&highlight=
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Algae Grower

I wouldn't risk it. Even if they do have room or even if -some- people have kept male bettas together. These male bettas are all exceptions to the rule, and more than likely, your females will shred your male or one of your males will be aggressive enough to continue their rampage and kill your other male. Even -if- they don't meet up and one doesn't kill the other they will constantly be trying to patrol their territory and will smell the other male, which can stress them out to the max. Females are a better option, but you cold still come home to a dead fish every now and again if the group goes crazy. You can deffinatly expect that there will be small fights and missing scales now and again. If you want to keep males in the same tank then get a 10g or 20g long and divide it. These tank, in my opinion, can look very nice and are a safe alternative.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode