Warm(treated) tap water for water changes in shrimp tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Warm(treated) tap water for water changes in shrimp tanks?

I don't know if my warm water pipes are made of copper or not.I was wondering if I could use warm tap water ,treated with product said to remove chlorine , copper and other heavy metals for water changes in my shrimp tank.

So far I was using a heater with thermostat in a bucket to warm up the water ,but it's winter ,so the water is really cold and it's taking too long to reach the optimal temp.

Can't come to work today ,Boss......I've got Bolbitis...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 07:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use tap water for my fish, from both hot and cold taps. My plumbing was redone about 20 years ago, converting from galvanized to copper. Hot water tank is probably about 5 years old. Prior tank was about 15 years old when it died, I think. I have been keeping fish through 2 water tanks. When I use hot water I usually let the tap run until the water is hot and a consistent temperature, then turn on the cold until the temp is just right. So that flushes out whatever water was standing in the pipes.

Depends on how old your house it, what the pipes are made of, and how old the hot water tank is.
Newer installations are probably copper or could be pvc. The water companies usually add stuff to keep the pH of the water on the alkaline side of neutral because acidic water erodes the pipes faster.
I have no idea if the hot water tank, or running hot water through the house plumbing will add significant amounts of copper to the water when you are keeping such delicate livestock as shrimp.

If you know your pipes are copper you could add a copper removing product to a small filter then run it for a while before using the water. Something like Cuprisorb. When you are done with that, remove it and THEN add dechlor, chelator and whatever minerals your shrimp want.
Alternate idea: If you already know the cold water is safe, then heat some water on the stove in a stainless steel pan. If you heat this water near boiling and blend it with cold tap water you might need to heat about 25% of the water.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:12 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I've always used warm water from the tap. Never had an issue...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you run the water for 60 to 90 seconds (however long it takes to empty the water that has been sitting in the pipes) you will greatly reduce anything in the water that is dissolved from the pipes. The Hot water tank is most likely a galvanized tank so water shouldn't pick copper there and the water going in should be the same as the cold water your using. (unless someone has changed or added part but not all of you pluming.) If you really want to make sure pipes are "cleaned" do the water change after doing something that uses a lot of hot water, like washing dishes, shower, hot water laundry.

3 Gal Betta Tank | 10 Gal Shrimp/Fry Tank |
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/95%)
Contrary to what some say I use water straight out of my faucet on discus tanks. I have breeders to and they still do awesome. I treat the tank as I'm filling, even on my shrimp tanks I do the same. After awhile you'll know by touch what the temp is lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode