Iiiii'mmmmmm Baaaaackkk - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 42
Iiiii'mmmmmm Baaaaackkk

Ok I was a member here like 100 years ago and I got really mad with my planted tank last time. I spent all the money and ended up with a tank full of crap and I quit. Now I got the itch to do it all over again.

1.) I am planning the following a 77 gallon Hagen Eco system tank. It comes with a hood that is specifically made for the tank although there is not much space left inside the hood, but some mods can be made. It comes with two T-8 bulbs inside I believe each are like 48 watts or something like that. Would this be enough light??? or would some more light be needed??? I was planning on maybe squeezing one T5 HO in the middle of the two T8 bulbs. Would that be enough???

2.)Ok My tank plans are very simple. I basicly want a background of amazon swords and I want the entire front covered in a short growing grass or somekind of carpet. THATS IT!!! So which substrate would be the best all around substrate for this??? I used seachem flourite last time, it didn't turn out to good. Although I would try it again but I have been reading about this new carib sea eco complete, i like how it is black and I have been told it's great. Which would you suggest??

3.) Filtration, I know you do not want a lot of gas exchange, but won't your fish die with no exchange???? or do the plants do something for oxygen for fish??? I was told that using HOB filters is what ruined my last system, is this true??? will using Aqua Clear HOB really hurt my system that badly??? any recomendations on what to use and how to prevent loosing CO2???

4.) CO2 I was planning on buying one of those simple machines I see at LPS, they don't seem to complicated nor are they to expensive. No sure of the name but it looks like a little HOB that aparently adds CO2, any advice on this???

5.) Any other tips would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to spend all the money again and screw up again. Thanks
chago09 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (120/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,885
1) that light should be fine as swords and grasses can grow in lower light.

2) I would go with eco....i have used it and really liked it.

3) If you have a HOB filter you need to add more CO2.

4) Not sure what machine you are talking about but its either a DIY kit or one of those electro carbon things. Either way you would be better off going with a real pressurized system. It may cost more on the startup but it will save you money in the long run and is easier and more stable.

5) why are you going with a Hagen Eco system tank? Do you already have it or getting it really cheap? I only ask since it sounds like it limits your lighting options.
oblongshrimp is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 05:30 PM
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chago09 View Post
Ok I was a member here like 100 years ago and I got really mad with my planted tank last time. I spent all the money and ended up with a tank full of crap and I quit. Now I got the itch to do it all over again.
Welcome back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chago09 View Post
1.) I am planning the following a 77 gallon Hagen Eco system tank. It comes with a hood that is specifically made for the tank although there is not much space left inside the hood, but some mods can be made. It comes with two T-8 bulbs inside I believe each are like 48 watts or something like that. Would this be enough light??? or would some more light be needed??? I was planning on maybe squeezing one T5 HO in the middle of the two T8 bulbs. Would that be enough???
How tall is your tank, T5 is probably a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chago09 View Post
2.)Ok My tank plans are very simple. I basicly want a background of amazon swords and I want the entire front covered in a short growing grass or somekind of carpet. THATS IT!!! So which substrate would be the best all around substrate for this??? I used seachem flourite last time, it didn't turn out to good. Although I would try it again but I have been reading about this new carib sea eco complete, i like how it is black and I have been told it's great. Which would you suggest??
I like eco complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chago09 View Post
3.) Filtration, I know you do not want a lot of gas exchange, but won't your fish die with no exchange???? or do the plants do something for oxygen for fish??? I was told that using HOB filters is what ruined my last system, is this true??? will using Aqua Clear HOB really hurt my system that badly??? any recomendations on what to use and how to prevent loosing CO2???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosynthesis
^ yes the plants "do something for oxygen for fish."

HOB filters expose the water to the air and there is CO2 loss as the water and air try to go to equilibrium. Try using a canister filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chago09 View Post
4.) CO2 I was planning on buying one of those simple machines I see at LPS, they don't seem to complicated nor are they to expensive. No sure of the name but it looks like a little HOB that aparently adds CO2, any advice on this???
It's good but they need regular maintainance, replacing yeast, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chago09 View Post
5.) Any other tips would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to spend all the money again and screw up again. Thanks
Keep on asking questions, you're doing the right thing by asking.

Good luck.
jersey600 is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 42
can you give me some names of grasses????

Ok I have been reading through this site a bit and have come across a lot of this low tech and high tech. Would me wanting to have amazon swords across the back and grass covering every inch of substrate in the front be a low tech??? if so what kind of lighting would I require???

Like I always thought the difference between high and low is the lighting, but people talk about needing C02 in high techs and not in lows and different nutrient things. starting to get confused. I basicly want like I said before jam packed with amazon swords to make a background then all grass everywhere, then through in a pair of discus and a bunch of cardinal or neon tetras. what should I do to continue
chago09 is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
ikuzo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 2,146
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
grass plants :
eleocharis parvula
eleocharis acicularis
echinodorus tenellus
sagittaria subulata

that's all the common plants i can remember right now


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ikuzo is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
tazcrash69's Avatar
 
PTrader: (22/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Posts: 3,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by chago09 View Post
Like I always thought the difference between high and low is the lighting, but people talk about needing C02 in high techs and not in lows and different nutrient things. starting to get confused.
For me it is. However, once the light level reaches a certain point, you need to supply the nutrients for them to grow faster which are your fertilizers (of which I personally consider Carbon a Macro fert).
Not experienced with other grasses, but....
IME, you can grow large swords in low light, and you can use Helanthium tenellum (formally E. tenellus) as a grass like foreground plant in low light (see pics in here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...tml#post479454
That was grown in my no-tech 5 gallon set-up.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
Proud former member of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
tazcrash69 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Naja002's Avatar
 
PTrader: (50/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Usa
Posts: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by chago09 View Post
Like I always thought the difference between high and low is the lighting, but people talk about needing C02 in high techs and not in lows and different nutrient things. starting to get confused.
From Super Low-Tech to Super High-Tech there are no hard drawn lines. Everything comes together to determine how the tank functions. Below a certain amount of light--you probably don't need C02. But setup 10 identical tanks at that lighting level--and some will need C02, some won't. Where that lighting level is--depends upon all of the variables of that particular tank.

Whether or not your low-light tank will need C02 or not--is something that the tank will have to tell you. We can only guess. What size tank, watts, type of light and reflectors, substrate, plant types, filtration, tank flow, etc consitute the variables.

If you give us unspecific information--we will give you unspecific answers:


Quote:
It comes with two T-8 bulbs inside I believe each are like 48 watts or something like that.
"or something like that"? I don't think they make 48 watt T8 bulbs that would fit over a 77g/75g tank. So, if they probably aren't 48 watt or something like that--how about you find out? Light is the driving force of the system.

Same with the T5: We don't know the length of the bulb or the tank--how should we know what wattage it probably is?

If you want help--then help yourself by helping us. Give us proper information and we'll give you the best answers that we have.....


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naja002 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome