Need Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Red face Need Help!

I'm new here so I need to explain some details but I'll try to keep it short.

I have been working toward a goal of a very large planted tank (150g) but I knew next to nothing about the planted aspect of the aquarium when I started. Through trial and error, I managed to set up a thriving 28g tank. Once it was going well, I began plans for a "phase II" tank using the my newly acquired knowledge. I carved my own driftwood/planter and boiled and began the soaking process. I also began researching and buying hardware.

Midway through setup, disaster stikes. The tank I was using the start the cycling process/ soak driftwood/ dedusting the florite/ ect., suddenly sprung a major leak overnight. In a panic to save all my work, I uprooted the plants in my 28g and moved everything from my 20g soak tank to the 28g containing my fish. Almost overnight, I assembled a 65g as the 28g was now way overcrowded.

The original plan had been to allow the 65g to run for a month or so to allow the plants to really take root before moving my fish. Instead, I am now forced to plant the tank with the fish already in the tank. The problem is that my Tinfoils won't allow me to plant anything. As soon as I add a few plants, they tear them up, along with airlines and substate cables. They did fine in a rooted tank, but now strip it bare. What am I to do? I do NOT have the room to run multiple tanks at this time. Thanks for any help you can give!

Pics can be seen here:
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...paradise/Misc/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Sorry you're having such a hard time. Unfortunately, those barbs will likely continue to munch on your plants no matter what you do at this point. If you don't have another tank for them, it seems like you have to decide between the plants and your barbs. Just my $0.02

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Please tell me that this isn't the only advice. I have had these fish for some time and have an enormous amount of time and money seting this tank up to be planted. Would the barbs be less active and therefor leave the plants alone if I dropped the temp? Would the plants root well and fast if the temp were lower? How low can I safely go? I do have a substrate heater...

Please... I don't ever use these forums as I never seem to have the time anymore. But, I know there are some real pros out there, pros that can find a way to save my tank. I understand that I have gone via a hard road by attempting to run a planted tank with large fish, but I love a challenge. I have thrived on doing what can't be done. But that doesn't mean that I have to do it by myself

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Is the plant move only temporary until you fix the leak in the 150G?
You can put your plants in a bucket/tub or kiddie pool if that's the case.

plant + barb = barb

You're right in wanting the barbs. They're pretty but they don't mix well with plants.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, but I think I'm being misunderstood.

There are 4 tanks involved here:

20g soak tank (the one that sprung a leak)
28g "Phase 1" tank. Completed this phase and this tank is now in storage.
65g "Phase 2" tank. Currently running but unplanted due to the rush transfer and barbs.
150g "Phase 3" tank. Still a pipe dream but I will begin acquiring hardware once "phase 2" is fully established.

Are barbs really that hard to keep in a planted tank? There is no way? When I told my gf that it was recommeded that I remove the barbs, she was really depressed. She loves those guys. They really have a personality and have grown so large so quickly. But... I would rather have the planted tank then have the barbs. My ultimate goal was to have very large fish in a large planted tank. Perhaps I should just stick to the Balas? I do so hate to give up.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
you can have both, but seperately.
dust off the 28G and plant your plants there.

Not all barbs are plant eaters/destroyers. The small species are great in a planted tank, like cherry barbs, checkered, golden, and a few other... but not tiger or rosey?.. They like to eat the plants like their cousin, tin foil.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
you can have both, but seperately.
dust off the 28G and plant your plants there.

Not all barbs are plant eaters/destroyers. The small species are great in a planted tank, like cherry barbs, checkered, golden, and a few other... but not tiger or rosey?.. They like to eat the plants like their cousin, tin foil.
This seems to be the best advice. I guess you could try to find some very hardy plants that the barbs won't eat, but I'm not sure. I'm no expert on this specific problem, but I figured I'd just try my best to help. I'm glad you enjoy the challenge of trying difficult endeavors, so hopefully you'll find a way to make it work!

Mike

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll speak to my local store about possible plants to use here. Funny, the barbs never touched the ferns or val in the 28g unless one broke to the surface. Then they would eat the roots off of it.

Again, thanks.

If you all don't mind, I think I will still stick around. I'm sure that I can't be much help but I will sure learn a thing or two.

Raven
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrmor2paradise View Post
Thanks for everyone's help. I'll speak to my local store about possible plants to use here. Funny, the barbs never touched the ferns or val in the 28g unless one broke to the surface. Then they would eat the roots off of it.

Again, thanks.

If you all don't mind, I think I will still stick around. I'm sure that I can't be much help but I will sure learn a thing or two.

Raven
Glad to have you, Raven! We're all still learning, otherwise, what fun would it be?

Mike

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Aren't there some fish that you may learn to like equally, that grow big and do not eat plants? Rainbowfish, giant danios, clown loaches, etc.?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

It was just that these fish have been part of the family for over a year now. I have had them since they were under an inch. Now the biggest is 8". "Big enough to pan fry" as my gf says lol
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
2 things you can try--no guarantees that it will work.

I keep Lg (3-5") Comet Goldfish that are feeder fish for the aquatic snakes in my signature. Comet Goldfish are notorious and relentless plant eaters, but I have made some head-way at keeping them with plants.

1) Keep them well fed. Very well fed. And feed them multiple times per day. After the main feeding rush, the Comets will spend quite a bit of time sifting the gravel and just searching for any missed spec of food or other "edible"! Honestly, I think they just get bored. The multiple daily feedings certainly help prevent that. This definitely works generally and with more "delicate" plants.

2) Try Tougher plants like anubias, java fern, some of the thicker, tougher swords, etc. Some plants are not all that fish-friendly. Tougher as in hardier, Yes, but also as in thicker, less fragile, less edible. You can make a beautiful anubias-based tank.

I've kept tinfoil barbs, but that was before my entry into planted tanks. I cannot guarantee that the above will work, but its worth a try.

HTH

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Those snakes are just awesome! I love the Chinese and it's tank. Thanks for the info!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode