Bettas in small tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bettas in small tanks

Does anyone else agree that there is no way its okay to keep a betta in anything smaller then 20 litres/5gal, In a 1gal it would be like living in a cupboard, I think this rumor was made up as pet shops couldn't afford to keep them all in their own tanks, what are everyones views on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
Usually people on here don't go smaller than 2gallons. I prefer a 5 gallon or larger for bettas.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
yes.. 1 gallon jars from walmart

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
my opinion is that anything is better than having bettas in those cups
that the stores keep them in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:59 PM
Tin
Algae Grower

I think 2.5 gallon should be bare minimum but I have kept happy, healthy bettas in 1 gallon tanks. Some betta won't tolerate a 5 gallon, others won't tolerate a 1 gallon. It all depends on the fish and its personality as well as the amount of upkeep you are willing to do on the tank.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
I think 2.5 gallon should be bare minimum but I have kept happy, healthy bettas in 1 gallon tanks. Some betta won't tolerate a 5 gallon, others won't tolerate a 1 gallon. It all depends on the fish and its personality as well as the amount of upkeep you are willing to do on the tank.
water changes are a must!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
There normal territory size in the wild is about a meter squared supposedly... that's a big aquarium.

Because they can breath air they tolerate tiny aquariums better than most fish, but that doesn't mean its healthy for them.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkman View Post
Agree but the other side of the coin: buying from those stores encourages them to keep buying from their supplier and selling them in tiny cups more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Agree about personalities and care! People who leave thief fish to stew in its own waste for months on end in tiny tanks have miserable fish. All pets need care and cleaned up after.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I think people are missing the fact that the cups are meant to be temporary. Even breeder setups have them in small containers when they need separated.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I thought these pictures of a betta farm were interesting:

http://redhillbetta.50webs.com/Priva...der/index.html
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkman View Post
I agree although it is better to keep them in bigger tanks and they should be in bigger tanks.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Baloney. 2 gallons is fine. 1 gallon is fine. Bigger is better, but not always... there are many reports of bettas that get nervous and unhappy in big tanks, and prefer a cozier environment. Just make sure necessary maintenance is not neglected, in whatever tank you have... the same advice that applies to ALL fish. Level of maintenance will vary with the tank in question. Just because examples of bad fishkeeping are easily found doesn't mean that anyone with the same sort of tank falls into that same category.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Agree with kman.

I even have some males in less than a gallon. They get water changes every 5 days, the bowls get thrown in the dishwasher, the fish get rotated to a fresh new bowl, may be up -scaled or down -scaled in size, but seems to add to their enrichment. No one is sick, depressed, or cramped. I have some that seem to prefer smaller, and feel more secure, and others appear to like the roomier accommodations.

My "betta cups" I use as separators for growing aggressive young uns, and those for sale/trade/raok are actually plastic bug observatories from the dollar store. These are roomier than cups, and also dishwasher safe. Comes with a lid and little magnifying glass built in. Long, kidney shape-ideal for young bettas. However, as I "lighten the load", these fish get upgraded to 1/2 gallon jars.

Females get removed from sorority and put in a half gallon jar next to the prospective husband for a couple weeks, to get to know each other and to condition, bred, pampered in her 1/2 gallon jar after for a week in case she gets injured during breeding, then back to the sorority.

The only time I see one depressed is if I'm late for a water change, bi monthly "pea night", or fry-separation-post partum blues.

-Stef*
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Last couple of betta's I've had were kept in 3 gallon aquariums. One guy went five years before passing and the other is still going strong after two.

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by prighello View Post
Last couple of betta's I've had were kept in 3 gallon aquariums. One guy went five years before passing and the other is still going strong after two.
I had a betta at my office for 7 years. In a half gallon bowl. Happy and sassy to the end.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode