I just can't do plants !! (incl piccies) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just can't do plants !! (incl piccies)

I'm even killing my java moss - surely I'm the only one able to do that!

everywhere I read it always says something along the lines of "Oh Java moss, that grows like a weed, you can grow it in pretty much most temperatures, most lighting, people even grow it in caves.

Well I can't. I've got mine on some drift wood, pretty much centeral in my tank, at about 78 degrees, under light for about 10 hours (2 x 18w bulbs) in my 23 gallon tank.

Here: I've taken a few piccies this morning so you can see exactly what it's like.

This is a relative close-up of one of my pieces of driftwood, here you can see how scraggly it is (I know it's got some hair alge) but from this picture you can clearly see that it's dying.

Most of my other plants are doing ok, sprouting new shoots and are generally surviving:

one of them (can't remember the name, got too much on my mind at the moment) stared in a far corner and has shot runners off all over the place is is starting to fill the tank

This is a piece of my driftwood from more of a distance so you get the full idea of what's going on.

Here are some of my 'tank stats' off the top of my head

Dimentions: 30 x 15 x 12 inch (=23 gallon?)
Lights: 2 x 18w growlux tubes on for about 8~10 hours a day
Temperature: 78 degrees
I've just started again DIY Co2 with a nutrifin ladder thingie
Fish stock: 3 neons, 'some' male guppies (4ish), 'some' female guppies (6ish)

Please help me. Not necessiraly with my moss, but my plants in general ain't that great.

Thanks for any time that you are prepared to give me.

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 AM

you forgot to mention the filtering and fertilisation regime that you follow?
Plants won't grow if you don't give them food.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by synodontis View Post
you forgot to mention the filtering and fertilisation regime that you follow?
Plants won't grow if you don't give them food.

Filter - it's a internal Fluval 3 (or 4 maybe). What difference is this going to make? I've always wanted one that's sits in the cupboard underneath the tank but that's only for asthetic reasons as I don't like my current one cluttering up the tank. I only thought that it was personal choice (but the external ones for the bigger tank), but if there's any benefit in these then I may have to look at the £'s.

Fertilisation - hmmmmmm I've got a bottle of Sechem Flourish Excell and a bottle of Sechem Flourish, but I must admit that it's not so much of a regime, more of a when I remember regime.

I'm startin to get the impression that this Fert is my downfall?

Thanks for the swift reply

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
It may sound like ferts are your downfall (BTW, click here for a good intro into ferts if you aren't very familar), but with 36 watts over a 23 gallon tank, you are looking at a low-light set-up. Things will grow slow.
Let's see what else might be at issue.
First, my moss grows much slower when the water starts to get over 78.
Now, how long has your tank been set-up?
What kind of substrate?
The small plants in front look like Helanthium tenellum (formally E. tennellus ) to me. IME Those can take a few weeks in low light to adjust before sending out runners.

The other thing is that it looks like there is brown dead moss tied to branches. How thick was it tied on. If the moss against the wood can't get light (and you have low light) it dies, and the rest kind of floats off.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

tazcrash69 - thanks for the link, I'll have a read and try to get to grips with this fert thang.

In response to your other questions:

The tanks been set up for a fair while now, about 4~5 months I think. I've had a couple of plant failure as I was trying to punch above my weight, so after spending £'s on plants that died within a week (not enough reading into what level lighting specific plants require) I went for the more hardy ones that I have at the moment.

Substrate is Eco-complete. 1 bag which I now know isn't enough so I topped it with some fine gravel to get the required depth, so it's eco complete topped with some normal stuff. You can see the eco-complete in the last 3 pictures that has been disturbed and made its way to the top.

The other plants are slowly growing, I wasn't expecting a forest within weeks as I'm aware that my lighting levels and only using DIY Co2 isn't the correct conditions. But they're growing.

BUT my Java moss, which according to everywhere else I read is the simplest thing in the world to grow isn't succeeding.

When I first tied the moss on it was 'liberal' but not too thick I think. It started off ok, but then I had a bit of an episode with hair alge, so acually thinking about it, maybe there was no light getting down to the roots of certain parts due to the alge.

Regarding the Java Moss what would you suggest? Take it out and start again, it's not a problem. Or remove all the dead stuff and hope that other bit of it spread and take hold again?

Thanks for you help
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
i have a problem growing java moss in a 12g eclipse tank i have. at first it grows fine then it satrts to wither for no reason i can find. along with the j moss i have anubis in ther that are doing great. it really makes no sense to me, i have a nano cube at work and it grows like a champ in there. maybe some tanks are no good for jmoss? im going to try peacock moss in the eclipse now.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Are you dosing excel? It's been my experience that if you overdose excel, mosses tend to die.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
the only tank I have that grows java moss is my one unheated 5gallon. I don't do anything to that tank but change the water occasionally and feed the betta. .. and take the hair algae off the filter.

otherwise, I just dropped the moss in there and it kinda floated around 'till it found a good spot and set up camp and actually is starting to look really nice now.

All other tanks are heated to 80+ (depending on tank) and the Java moss just withers.

that's my experience.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Is your water city water? If so, do you use dechlor? You probably do, but I thought I'd just check.

~ Linda ~

How many watts do I need to make my swimming pool a high light tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode