Planted Tank Noob.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Planted Tank Noob....

First off thx for all of the great posts.. I've been spending the last two nights reading several forums, articles, and posts to learn about planted tank keeping..

I have a 28 gallon bowfront in my bedroom.. here are the details

AGA 28 Gal bowfront, standard glass top, and light
HOB filter Emporer 280
about 25 lbs (3in bed)
a nice piece of drift wood...

The tank has been set up for a couple months.. but the fish I have in there are boring in my opion so I decided to take them back and go on my latest venture...

My goals for this tank is a fairly full planted tanke with a few small fish like a balloon ram, maybe a loach or two, and some schooling tetras... I'd like to have my focus be the plants with wood and rock to contrast with...

The hardware I plan on getting is...

1 30in Coralife Aqualight Fixture (65W single linear) fixture
2. Red SEA CO2 Bio-System
3. taking about half of my current subtrate out and mix in some Seachem Flourite substrate
4. Some sort of fertilizer.

I dont really know what kinda of plants I wanna go with.. I do want plants that will be like grass, or grow over the substrate, some tall plants and some short and bushy..

I dont think I have any questions other than will this combination work pretty well? Am I missing anything major?

I'll take any words of wisdom...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

with no replies I assume I'm doing well in my configuration?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
Well it sounds like you have a idea on what you want. The best thing that I can say is read, read, read, and read some more. Oh yeah after you have read go back and read some more. I belive planted tanks are one of lifes great joys. Learn all that you can do your best and sit back and enjoy the show.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Skip the red sea bio-generater and just DIY with 2L bottles......

May want to consider swapping out the HOB for a canister to save C02 loss....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
In addition to what Naja, and Madfish have posted you really don't even need to swap out the substrate if you are going to dose to the water column. It does sound like you have a decent grasp on things to start. Also don't get stuck with "I have to grow this plant or else", some plants are not meant to be kept by some people.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
Skip the red sea bio-generater and just DIY with 2L bottles......

May want to consider swapping out the HOB for a canister to save C02 loss....
I'll consider the DIY CO2 but from what I've read is that they are inconsistant..
On the flip side I do see that a lot of people who are apparently keeping the DIY CO2 setup in their tanks
so I'll look more into this... Specially since I'm trying to save money if possible.

I do have a canister filter sitting around that I suppose I could use.. Do you think this would need to be done right away or something I can do if I'm not getting the results im looking for..

Quote:
You don't even need to swap out the substrate if you are going to dose to the water column.
Regarding tazcrash69's comment.. please explain the term dosing the water column...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
FWIW, The red-sea bio-generator is a DIY system.

If you are injecting CO2, use the canister, HOBs are notorious for out gassing CO2.

Adding dry or liquid ferts instead of using tabs or sticks in the substrate.
All plants can absorb nutrients from the water column. Even plants that were thought of as heavy root feeders will do well with water column ferts.
There are plenty of nice tanks using standard aquarium gravel.

You might find some informative reading here if you haven't already:
http://www.rexgrigg.com/

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
FWIW, The red-sea bio-generator is a DIY system.

If you are injecting CO2, use the canister, HOBs are notorious for out gassing CO2.
Exactly. The red sea Bio-generator is just an expensive DIY that offers a smaller container, so you will get less mileage out of it for more investment. Plus on a 28g tank you are going to need more than one--regardless of what the specs say.

So, you might as well start out with 2 or more 2L bottles and save yourself some $$$.

HTH

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
One thing I would like to add is when you add the canister leave the biowheel on for another 2-4 weeks until the new can gets seeded.
Also if you are determined to add Flourite or some other substrate do it right the first time and make the whole bed Flourite .I "added" eco to my existing regular pebble and hated it...wound up ripping everything out to completely fill with eco.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Note taken!! thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
One thing I would like to add is when you add the canister leave the biowheel on for another 2-4 weeks until the new can gets seeded.
Also if you are determined to add Flourite or some other substrate do it right the first time and make the whole bed Flourite .I "added" eco to my existing regular pebble and hated it...wound up ripping everything out to completely fill with eco.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:55 AM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
read read read read read read and I emphasis again, READ! About a year ago I was in the same situation as you, getting the same stuff. I mustered up some patience, read everyday, and now I feel completely confident in all of my recent decisions, and instead of all of that stuff that I was originally planning on getting like you are, I used the extra time to save and research and I ended up ordering that same light but the 2x65w double strip version, a 2x18w coralife t5, an xP3, powersand special m and ASA II, pressurized CO2, ADA ferts, Manzanita, and a 75p ADA tank. I would not be nearly as satisfied with what out came out my scape had I not taken extra time to increase my budget and learn exactly how everything workss and why it's necessary.

Let me tell you, I was in the EXACT situation and state of mind that you're in right now, and with time, patience, learning, and reading, I realized that there was sosososososo much more to it all, and that all the intricacies really really are completely necessary. Good luck, and TAKE YOUR TIME, there's nothing worse than ordering something, finding out you wanted something better or different, and not being able to return it. This is an extensive hobby, and if you give it a great effort, you'll love the great results, but if you rush it, you'll find you and your wallet in a load of hurt.

Take some time to view the photo album and see what people do with their money, and view the results they get with the effort they put in. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and USE THE SEARCH function, it's your best friend for researching! I spend half my life on it, lol

Good luck, and have fun

thats my 2
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Your other option, is to do a "low tech" tank, like here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...tech-tank.html

Most folks here do the "high-tech" route, with pressurized or DIY CO2, EI (estimative index), higher wpg, etc, but low-tech is a viable option, and cheaper/simpler to get into. You can start there and go high-tech later on...both high tech and low tech routes have pros and cons, but like everyone else said, hold your horses for a little while, as much as it ain't fun (like a kid being told "no" in a candy store), you'll be glad you researched more before buying equipment...I like both my tanks, but you have to decide which route is best for you...

NOTE: To do a *SEARCH* and get the answer you want, its often best to go to "Advanced Search" and search in the title only.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok... for the past couple hrs I've been doing research.. scratching my head.. and reading some more...

I want to use DIY CO2... and i suppose im trying to figure out if the diffusor, reactor, or ladder would be best to use..

and trying to figure out this whole process will work at night when the plants cycle stops consuming CO2?>
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
You could try to use a limewood diffuser. They produce very small bubbles that will help the co2 dissolve easier. I even used regular airstones in the past and just positioned it under the outflow of my filter, so the bubbles get pushed around the aquarium. One problem with DIY is that it can be hard to generate enough pressure to push the gas through certain types of diffusion methods (which could lead to the pressure backing up and causing the bottle to explode). As far as nighttime, some run an airstone at night to outgas some of the CO2. I never did this, and never had a problem, but YRMV. You should figure out how you'll measure CO2 (dropchecker, degassing, ph/kh cart). Just try to target ~ 30ppm of co2. HTH

Mike

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode