Random question! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Random question!

Just a random question. I was wondering if anyone else is like me and is never satisfied with their tank?, I do it, like it for the moment then think actuallyyyy this would be better here, and I should move this here then repeat! I wonder if I will ever be happy with the layout, it drives my girlfriend mad and costs me a fortune! I think its looking at the tanks on here and thinking damn mine doesn't look like that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-15-14-24-31-1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	267865  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hahahaha!! I often feel the same way, my tanks are often a little disappointing but I'm just happy I've got them. I don't really mind if my tank is not as good as other people's because they put in so much effort where as I put in hardly any. I just like keeping fish rather the aqua scape. It takes time for plants to grow the way you want them to which can also be annoying but patience is key!! I also don't have that much money so I can't afford to buy co2, good lighting ect, so I know my tan won't look as good but it's fine.
Good luck...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FISHY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Eventually you become better at getting a vision in your head of the build you want achieve prior to Aquascaping. By taking time to plan well & gather your hard & soft scape materials by either growing plants out or purchasing you eliminate a lot of frustration. Of course there will always be some tweaks but, they are minor fine tuning things like making a like gap here, moving a heater over a bit etc.etc.

I think slowing down the process helps a lot. I place my hard scape in a bare tank a look at it door a day or two before I plant. If you develop a mindset that you need to do it "right" the 1st time....You will do it right the 1st time.

The one truism about this hobby is it demands patience to reach a higher level.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 11:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I'm not great planner, I've tried to mimic a few things I see but I always end doing something different. It's not that I am unhappy with the look just that sometimes I think things would look better a little different. I try to be careful moving plants around and try to really moderate how often my hands are going into the tank...but sometimes it can't be helped!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
i get bored very easily with my scapes.

Will

on Facebook.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Pruning, training our plants & occasional "tweaks" of hard scape ARE a normal part of the Hobby.

I'm offering that with strong planning you can set a scape once and have the tank you want. The key to this is of course understand what you actual what BEFORE you begin.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I like to let everything grow out like a jungle that way when you want to actually trim and form an aquascape you have more freedom to trim down and replant or let it go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Here is how my process goes

Scape-this is great I'm going to let everything grow in some

Month later

this is a total mess, trim trim trim

Now the scape looks empty, lets move this here and here and there

over and over and over and over again
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Haha, maybe we are all just nuts, my fish must think im one of them the amount im in their tank! I needed to hide my money before I start buying more tanks, I've seen some people on here that have 50+!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I can understand, though I technically only did my first aquascape 2 months ago (before that my pleco destroyed any plant I put in the tank.. now he's moved to a bigger set up). Its all slow growers and I keep glaring at them and wanting them to fill in already!!
I'm even re-thinking the plants and layout and want to rip most of it out and re-do it in the spring when its safe to ship plants again (can't speak for everyone but its been getting into the single digits freezing here).
I also have a specific plan for my next tank but it hinges on making sure the slope/hill I make (with a cave under it) doesn't collapse.. and since I've never tried anything like this before I have my doubts of it working, and nothing planned to fall back to if it does fail.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a tendency to do a bit of rearranging. Not real radical usually except during spawning season. Most of it is due to seeing how my fish (bluegills) are getting along. If I have enough territories for them. Or might see I need a plant "fence" somewhere. And then when my male starts nest building I have to move plants to give him a big spot to make his nest. Better I choose the spot than him tear up a spot that is planted just right. LOL After he's done I'll need to re-plant. I could move him out of the tank into a holding container & I may eventually but this year I have a spot I don't like the way it looks & will replant it anyway. I keep Bluegills knowing I'll do a bit extra work to keep them happy but they are by far the most friendly, interactive fish I have.

I don't post any photos of my tank because it's not really aquascaped .. just planted. I'm embarrassed by how my tank looks compared to everyone here. BUT it works for my fish and makes them happier which makes me happier.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode