Getting out of the co2 business... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to RachPreach
Getting out of the co2 business...

So, I come home today to find that all of my fish, except for a select few are dead. Apparently my bubble counter was up to high and the fish suffocated. I had adjusted the bubble counter last night to a good speed but apparently it wasnt stablized well enough. I just cant do this anymore. I cant deal with the heartbreak of all my fish dying. Yes I know that it was a accident and that it probably wouldnt happen again but Im just sick of the overall maintance of the 3wpg planted tank. The weekly water changes and the daily ferts. I just want a tank that is focused mainly on my fish instead of plants. I am truely heartbroken. I lost two beautiful angels, 1 bristlenose, all of my harlequins and 3 SAEs. Thank you everyone for all the help. Im going to keep all of my equipment in case I decide to go high tech again. I will still have plants, just low light and low maintaince. I just wanted to share my experience.

100g tank:10 small angelfish, 1 harlequin rasbora, 2 albino cory, 2 clown loach, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco and 1 apisto borellis.
Rena Filstar xp3, 2x32 and 1x96 watts with no co2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 01:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll find the right setup for your current state of mind.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 01:42 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
sorry for the loss... Nothing wrong with a low tech tank.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:02 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
sorry you lost your fish.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thank yall. It was just wierd because my angelfish's eyes turned cloudy after they were dead.

100g tank:10 small angelfish, 1 harlequin rasbora, 2 albino cory, 2 clown loach, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco and 1 apisto borellis.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I'm so sorry I know how sad it is to just lose one fish!

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
40 breeder reef

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
I had the same thing happen to me before and did it ever suck. Everything looked so good when I got home almost my whole tank was lost. I think it is the ghost of the fish past that like to play tricks on us. My CO2 was cranked way up and by the time I got a air stone going I had lost a couple more. Sorry to hear about it.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Sorry to hear the bad news. It's never easy losing fish, especially when you feel you had a hand in their deaths. Been there, done that as well.

I'm pretty much all about low tech myself these days.
I may change my mind someday, but for now I just don't have the time needed to maintain much more than that. I'm content with having tanks I can actually spend more time looking at than being in elbows deep daily.

Look at it this way maybe...You get to go fish shopping...lol
Good luck with the future project.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
A technical point to be sure. But you can't adjust a bubble counter. You adjust a needle valve. The bubble counter is merely the means by which you can tell how much you have adjusted a needle valve.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Sorry to hear it RP.
I've almost been there myself (the Mrs had an insomnia thing that night and noticed the fish acting "weird").
Trust me, on a large tank, low light, and low maintanance gives you more time to enjoy the tank.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yeah i just want to enjoy the tank more than feeling like its a job. I am so busy now a days and I just want to enjoy the fish now. thank you everyone for your comments.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

BTW, what causes some of the fish to survive and some to die? Are some just stronger than others as far as tolerating co2?

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachPreach View Post
So, I come home today to find that all of my fish, except for a select few are dead. Apparently my bubble counter was up to high and the fish suffocated. I had adjusted the bubble counter last night to a good speed but apparently it wasnt stablized well enough. I just cant do this anymore. I cant deal with the heartbreak of all my fish dying. Yes I know that it was a accident and that it probably wouldnt happen again but Im just sick of the overall maintance of the 3wpg planted tank. The weekly water changes and the daily ferts. I just want a tank that is focused mainly on my fish instead of plants. I am truely heartbroken. I lost two beautiful angels, 1 bristlenose, all of my harlequins and 3 SAEs. Thank you everyone for all the help. Im going to keep all of my equipment in case I decide to go high tech again. I will still have plants, just low light and low maintaince. I just wanted to share my experience.
I understand your feelings, I've lost plenty playing with Co2, but this problem is very simple to rectify.

1 Milwaukee SMS 122 PH Controller would have kept this from happening.... :-/

As for fish surviving or not, some have higher tolerance and some, such as many catfish species, can get there air from the top of the tank.

125 Gallon AGA w/ Overflows
Filtration: Ehiem 2026 Filter, Dual "Ghetto" Overflow Internal Filters
Lighting: 1x96W Current USA CF - 2x96W Generic CF
Co2: Pressurized Co2 - Rex Grigg Regulator, SMS 122, and Rex Grigg Reactor.
Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i did have a sms ph controller but could not use it because my substrate caused my ph to lower to the 5 range so there fore my controller wouldnt even allow itself to cut on. I just had the co2 on a timer to come on during the day and off at night.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode