Are spixi snails preditory? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
Question Are spixi snails preditory?

I used to be over run with ramshorn and other snails in my 130 gallon and and lots of nerite snail eggs all over the place before I added spixi snails. Now it seems I have fewer other snails and lots of empty snail shells (not complaining on fewer ramshorns ). Also I've seen the spixis seem to "gang" up on and envelop other snails with their "feet" or whatever you call it, kinda like you'd see in a nature documentory. So, is it what it appears and spixis are preditory? I don't have any Loaches, and I don't think it is the bristlenoses doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
can someone address this question?

can you keep Spixi and Ramshorn
together without risk of inbreeding,
predation, or conflicting competition?

or will Spixi emerge as top dog in
any tank with other small snails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Algae Grower

I have a lot of Spixi snails and have seen them eating other Spixi eggs. I would assume that they would eat other snail eggs as well. I have never seen them eating live snails though.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Banned

good to know. are Spixi eggs as easy to spot as Ramshorn egg deposits?
if so, it would be simple to rip the leaf off holding an egg clutch, to put it
where adult snails can't get at it such as a floating breeding cube.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
Spixi snails are predetory, they will eat both smaller spixi snails and other snails (according to a guy I know who was breeding them). I have also noticed the empty shells of smaller spixi's and other snails though myself. Spixi eggs are very easy to spot as they form a jelly like mass on moss or a plant. The mass is about the size of the snail itself so its unlikely you would miss it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 01:08 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I saw a spixi with its face at the opening of a medium ramshorn's shell; not sure if he was actually IN it or just ON it, but it was suspicious.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Banned

I can now confirm from my own observations that Spixi are predatory against Ramshorn. Several times I have caught a 1cm Spixi half way in a Ramshorn 2cm shell, while the Ramshorn had retreated deeper inside. I was hoping to keep them together in my invert tank, but I'll probably keep just the Spixi there, and move the Ramshorn back to my nano community tank. I like both my Spixi and Ramshorn, but will just have to keep them apart from now on I noticed the Spixi have a defensive advantage over the Ramshorn, as the Spixi seem to have a flip top lid then can close over their shell, while a Ramshorns soft flesh stays exposed. Spixi move about 10 times faster than Ramshorn, so they probably have stronger muscles as well. This tank has no gravel, so I'm able to fairly test if MTS and Spixi have any problems with each other, and thus far they seem to coexist just fine. Spixi seem to treat MTS like another rock in the tank, and are seen cleaning the MTS shell without investigating it's contents.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Hey, I see this as a good thing for keeping ramshorn explosions down (when they populate out of control and then have a stinky mass die off, yuck!). I still have some ramshorns, but the spixis are keeping them in check. They are also killing some nerites though. I see some smaller olive nerites in the tank though so they can breed in fresh water.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Banned

I can now confirm that Spixi may try to eat your MTS, but they won't
succeed because the MTS shell is too hard and deep for Spixi to get in.
I've kept 7 adult Spixi in a slate bottom tank with a dozen juvenile MTS
for over 2 Months now, and have not lost a single of either snail.
In that same period, I lost 2 Ramshorn to these opportunistic Spixies,
before I finally had to remove the Ramshorn from this tank altogether.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 05:45 PM

spixi snails

I wonder if the spixis would take care of POND snails? Seems they also have a hard shell, but they multiply out of control ! Anyone have experience with that?

I have seen the spixis eating other spixi egg clutches- seems that they leave them alone until they are close to hatching.... at first I thought they were just scooting over the top of the clutch, but the clutches started disappearing.

It would be great if they would eat the pond snails !
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 06:27 PM

spixis

How did you do that? Is the clutch attached to anything? It looks like maybe a plastic cap that is floating with the clutch inside....?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 08:50 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
This is great to hear! I have allot of ramshorn snails, though thinner and smaller, that I've always been removing on a daily basis. It's nice to know that something will actually eat them, but will be safe for shrimps and plants. Now I have to look for anyone selling asolene spixi locally.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

crazie, Spixi don't eat the mini-ramshorns with those flat against the glass shells. I put 7 adult spixis in a 30gal tank full of those 3mm snails, and they didn't go for them even after weeks of waiting, and underfeeding the tank. I actually watched Spixis crawl right over those 3mm ramshorns without even a pause.

in the end, the only way I could kill those little snails was to remove all my fish and spixis, drain all but 3" of the water, then treat all the plants and gravel left in my tank with a double concentration of H202, or 1 tablespoon of H202 per 2 gallons of water (still in my tank), twice over the course of a 24 hour period (with filter and lights left off). it sounds like a lot of work; but now all those little snails are finally gone, as well as whatever algae traces were there, and I didn't have to uproot all my plant formations.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 06:50 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Dang. That sux. I thought I finally had a natural solution. Oh well. I guess back to sucking them out.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx
I have Spixi's in my 20 Gallon planted tank... My problem is that they seem to be dieing... Should I be giving them some sort of Calcium? I have heard of using the "vacation feed tabs" that you buy for fish. I don't have any pics of them, but, their shells seem to be deteriorating rapidly! They don't look as nice as they did when I hatched them, & I don't seem to be having as many eggs/babies in the tank either. Is there a chance that my new aquisition might be eating them or something? The newest in the tank are 2 Black Kuhli Loaches... They are still young & I don't see them that often, go figure... I put them in a tank with dark substrate...

Anyway, Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give!

Sorry I didn't leave the parameters of my water. I'll have to get them tonight. I know for a while I neglected the tank when I bought my house & I was doing repairs to it... That probably has the most to do with it!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode