Do I need a heater in a shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do I need a heater in a shrimp tank

I am setting up a 3g pico for cherry shrimp. My room temp stays around 74 year round. Do I need a heater for the cherry shrimp?

The tank is only about 8" deep minus 2" subrate. Does anyone know of a heater that is less than 6"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:16 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
It should be fine, but how about at night?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (95/100%)
If it stays that temp at night you should be fine. most nanos though are at that temp only when the light is on.... check the temp first thing when the light is turned on. if below 68-70 you might need a heater at night.
Cindy

Cynthia

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I don't use a heater in my shrimp tank and all is well. Our house might get down to the high60s/low70s at night if we don't use the heater, but it's in the 70s range for the most part. During the summer, however, all bets are off. My tanks have gotten up into the mid80s or higher, although nothing horrible happened, except the apparent plant stress and algae seems to like that more.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
If you're handy, you can make yourself a heating pad, like in a heating blanket or under tile heater.. YOu can put that under your little tank... Of course, you'd need a regulator.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Doa! It just occurred to me that I could place a submersible heater horizonally.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
If you're handy, you can make yourself a heating pad, like in a heating blanket or under tile heater.. YOu can put that under your little tank... Of course, you'd need a regulator.
That reminds me of the undergravel heating pads that people used to swear by. I used to read aquatic digest mailing list back in the mid/late 90s and quite a few people used them. I never hear about it anymore though, so it's probably not necessary.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram View Post
That reminds me of the undergravel heating pads that people used to swear by. I used to read aquatic digest mailing list back in the mid/late 90s and quite a few people used them. I never hear about it anymore though, so it's probably not necessary.
oh, only as an alternative to a submerged heater. And i'd place the heater pad outside & under the little fish pico or whatever.

I actually made a DIY undergravel heater when I was a kid... I didn't notice any improvement in plant growth.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I ran a 10 gallon shrimp tank thru all of last winter with no heater what-so-ever. The temps would go up some during the daytime - around 70; at night would hover around 68. I kept my home at 70 when I'm in and around 68 when we're out and during nightime. I saw no problem with the shrimp living, growing and breeding.

I also selected plants which would be fine with cooler temps.

With your home remaining at 74, I think you 'd be fine with no heater.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode