Pickling Salt in Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Pickling Salt in Planted Tank

I have a tank with a few mollies in and and I'm going to be planting the tank tomorrow. I'm gonna put some salt in for the mollies and was wondering if Pickling salt would be ok? It doesn't say anything about Iodine on the box. Is there something different about the salt that makes it for pickling?

I was going to use about 3 tablespoons in my 10 gallon but wanted to make sure that it was okay to do so with some of you guys since I'm new to the hobby. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
I don't know, but pickled mollies sound good. Mmmmmm!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pickling salt has very fine grains to allow it to dissolve easily in cold water. Other than that, it's just salt, so go for it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattius View Post
I have a tank with a few mollies in and and I'm going to be planting the tank tomorrow. I'm gonna put some salt in for the mollies and was wondering if Pickling salt would be ok? It doesn't say anything about Iodine on the box. Is there something different about the salt that makes it for pickling?

I was going to use about 3 tablespoons in my 10 gallon but wanted to make sure that it was okay to do so with some of you guys since I'm new to the hobby. Thanks.

pickling salt is typically just plain NaCL... same difference if you went and bought common aquarium salt... Most of the research I have done on my mollies and swordtails indicates you should be using Marine salt.... That is because Mollies like very hard water in addition to the little bit of salt.

My tap water (well water) has a GH of around 20 and KH of around 12, not quite liquid rock, and a natural PH of 7.8... I just add plain salt and it seems to work pretty well..... The mollies and their babies... and the swordtails and their babies ... all seem to like it really well.

I guess I am trying to say, depends on your water and how hard it is already... if it is similar to mine then plain salt works, if it is softer, you might want to look into something like "Instant Ocean" which will harden the water...

A hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of the water would be a good idea... I think 1.003 to 1.005 is what I aim for (I'm at work, it is home so check that figure)... so if you buy one, make sure it reads that low... the ones with the swing arms don't, but most that float do.

46 gallon bowfront, Dalmatian Mollies, Swordtails, Otos
75 gallon Lake Malawi African Cichlids
3 gallon nano desktop with Betta at the office
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
well, pickling salt might be better too... It doesn't have iodine or anti-caking agents like regular table salt...
You can use Kosher, Sea Salt, and aquarium salt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode