post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Vals

I'm new to planted tanks. Here is what I'm running:
10g, Dwarf Hairgrass and some type of Vallisneria
Caribsea Floramax mixed with some black sand
Two 20w 6500k CFL bulbs (totals to 40w) on for 10 hours a day
DIY CO2 running at ~1bp2s
EI dosing (seachem flourish for micronutrients and dry ferts [Potassium Nitrate and Mono Potassium Phosphate] for macronutrients)
I've had the tank set up for almost a week now and I've noticed that my Vals don't look exactly in tip top shape. Just now one of the leaves "broke" off and is just floating in the tank. For the most part all three of the Vals are still green except for two leaves that are brown at the top (not algae). Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong because if I am I want to be sure to catch it early and not let it get worse before it's too late or becomes harder to solve.

Btw, so far I have not dosed with the dry ferts/macronutrients because I just got them in the mail today. I'm about to dose now. Will this browning/leaf break-off go away overtime since I'm starting to dose with the macronutrients?

Aaaaand one last thing.. Can I replant the broken off leaf into the substrate? Will it eventually grow or should I just throw it away? Lol sorry if this is a dumb question..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	267785  

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	267793  

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	267801  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:53 AM
Planted Member

IME Vals often melt when they are transplanted and others have the same experience. Not sure where they came from in your case but if they were in soil, for example, and you planted them in a gravel type substrate I'd expect them to lose most of their older leaves. Once they get settled in they should throw out new growth. They are not very demanding in terms of light, co2 or fert and will reward you with a lot of growth if they are happy. A leaf will not grow if placed in the substrate. Root tissue is needed. Or a really good spell.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 04:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Is the white part of the Val buried? Don't know the name of it (bulb?). If it is then you wanna make sure that part is showing above the substrate. Vals usually send out runners so toss out the leaves that you cut.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvscar View Post
Is the white part of the Val buried? Don't know the name of it (bulb?). If it is then you wanna make sure that part is showing above the substrate. Vals usually send out runners so toss out the leaves that you cut.
Rhizome?

Using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy va View Post
IME Vals often melt when they are transplanted and others have the same experience. Not sure where they came from in your case but if they were in soil, for example, and you planted them in a gravel type substrate I'd expect them to lose most of their older leaves. Once they get settled in they should throw out new growth. They are not very demanding in terms of light, co2 or fert and will reward you with a lot of growth if they are happy. A leaf will not grow if placed in the substrate. Root tissue is needed. Or a really good spell.
Ah yes, that's the word I've heard before, "melt". Yes, I believe they were in soil from the looks of it in the LFS. Thanks for all the info it really helps! (Lol a really good spell)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvscar View Post
Okay I'll be sure to uncover the white part tomorrow before the lights turn on. Why do I need to do this btw? Promotes better growth?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode