large fish question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
large fish question

I am starting to really enjoy my planted tank now, and its great to see such wonderful growth and the fish loving their new surroundings.
However, I also happen to have a 6' x 2' x 2' tank containing:

1) 4 silver dollars (these are the metynnis ones)
2) rainbow barbs (look like tinfoils but their colours is more subtle and have a lovely silvery sheen)
3) 3 synodontis decorus
4) synodontis occelifer (17 years old!)
5) pseudocanthicus areaus (goldy pleco, can grow quite large)
6) synodonis angelicus

my question is that I wonder if it is possible, if cost was no object, to house the above in a large planted aquarium? Or are they best left alone in a sparse fish only aquarium? I can afford a 12' x 2' x 4' (4' wide, not height since my door is only 27") acrylic aquarium for them if possible, I just need to know if anyone has done this kind of thing and if the planted aquarium is the best kind of environment to give them. I know some of you would tell me to sell them off, but I've become too attached to them and I consider it unethical to ignore my responsibility.

my specific questions are:

1) will a planted aquarium give them enough oxygen?
2) silver dollars and the barbs are plant eaters but I would assume that if they are placed in a densely planted tank the growth will compensate?
3) will a planted tank be healthier for them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
Let me see if i can answer these....

1) if the planted tank is heavily planted and the plants are growing well you will have more O2 saturation then you can get with bubbler.

2) Although I don't have experience with these fish my guess is they would tear the crap out of your plants. They would also likely eat them faster then they are growing since thye won't be eating them all equally.

3) I think planted tanks are better for fish since they generally have more O2, are more natural (some fish like the security of plants to hide in), plus they are just nicer looking for you.

You may be able to find plants that those fish won't eat and that either attach to wood or have deep enough roots that they wont get uprooted.

I am interested to know what other people think though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Silver dollars aren't just plant eaters, they are insatiable lawnmowers who will chew each and every leaf down to the nub in a matter of days. I have NEVER seen a fish more destructive in a planted aquarium. I would say pass on these FOR SURE. The barbs and the pleco? Don't have personal experience, but the barbs *might* be ok. I've seen a lovely 220 gallon tank with some 6" arulius barbs who were actually spawing. They didn't do too much harm to the plants.

Your synos are your best bet. Make sure they have some good caves and hiding spots, big pieces of driftwood, and some open space in the middle and they should be happy. Other than throwing their weight around a little they shouldn't cause you too much trouble. I had a beautiful syno for several years until he decided to jump and turn into carpet jerky. COVER YOUR TANK VERY WELL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm just curious about one thing: Why can you get a tank that's four feet wide, but not four feet high? Why can't you turn it the other way to get it through the door? The reason I ask is that I think a tank would look better for viewing with a four foot height and two foot width than the other way around.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
4 ft height would probably not be good for plants, though. You'd need some laser beams for light

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

my door is 27" and I want luxury on the width and not the height. I could of had 4' height, but as anyone who builds tanks will tell you, the deeper you get the thicker the acrylic to take the pressure, this would also mean the tank will be heavier if it was 4' height wise. Could you imagine lifting a tank that is 1.5" thick acrylic?

I don't want to get rid of my silver dollars, they're so pretty. The last three I had all died of old age (at the grand age of 12). I could of course do a tank for the others and put the silver dollars to a sparse non plant tank.

Lighting shouldn't be a problem, a lot of halides should sort that out. I wanted a lot of surface area for them to move about and enjoy themselves, but I suppose it also gives them the space to do a running jump (there's no pleasing some fish is there?)!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's kind of nice for maintenance to be able to reach the bottom of a tank...

You should probably grow extra plants for your silver dollars to snack on. They'd appreciate it. And maybe, just maybe if you gave them trimmings from a (different) planted tank, you'd be able to find a plant they didn't care for.

Plecos and acrylic may not be a good match. Some plecos have been rumored to scratch the interior of acrylic tanks rendering the hazy. I was never able to verify if it was true, but it's certainly conceivable.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe2Can View Post
I'm just curious about one thing: Why can you get a tank that's four feet wide, but not four feet high? Why can't you turn it the other way to get it through the door?
I scratched my head and had the same thought...lol

I agree with Jen on the silver dollars, those things will treat your tank like a salad bar.

The others, just like Jen, I don't have any personal experience with other than owning a syno for 5yrs a decade ago that also took the leap of death. (My condolences Jen, I actually stepped on the dried up body of mine some 25ft from the tank)

All I can say is its worth a try (minus the silver dollars), if nothing else they will at least have a bigger home even if the plants dont work out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode