Hello all, what do you think, good start? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello all, what do you think, good start?

I have been researching for a bit and looking at different forums and found this site to be by far the easiest and most informative to my understandings thus far and will make this my first post. I am wanting to start a tank but want to be well prepared before I start. I grew up around a bunch of tanks and have been itching for one plus Digital photography is a hobby and aquariums are a great subject. I would like a scape like this with a touch more low lying grass on the left, I really like the tree idea, plus the open water sand with the elevation changes.
I wanted to start with a 30 cube from Oceanic but a friend showed me this for $100 bucks

It is a drilled 58 Oceanic that needs a HEAVY cleaning. For the sump I have a used 10 gallon I can modify, was thinking filter media over bioballs then to another chamber of media with a submerged heater(brand unknown)to a Mag drive 7 pump. For what it is and the price it seems worth it. I have searched lighting and like the Current USA T-5 HO 36'' and would get rid of the Actinic bulbs for a more favorable growing light.

I am looking for opinions or constructive criticism on my thoughts. I have always loved the look of the ADA tanks with the center piece rocks and flowing grass. My fish likings are all over the place but I really enjoy Corys. I would like a main stay of a school of Tiger Barbs or Neons and then a vast array of bottom dwellers. Discus are a reach for me, I remember the time involved and really can't see myself going there again. If someone can chime in and let me know if I may be on the right track or offer insight that would be killer!
Thanks!

Last edited by frogballs; 11-05-2007 at 03:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
www.rexgrigg.com

Read up there to understand all the basics, then post some questions after that! (estimative index, co2, ferts, substrate etc)

Welcome to the forum!

NOTE: To do a *SEARCH* and get the answer you want, its often best to go to "Advanced Search" and search in the title only.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Well I must say, not the warm and toasty welcome I would have thought. Maybe I should have done another *SEARCH*...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
I think it's smart that you are trying to learn as much as possible before getting too far in. I think you can use that lighting (what is the wattage on that fixture?), and switching out the actinic is wise. As far as the scape and the fauna, I'd say it all sounds good. Sometimes it is wise to start the tank with lots of fast growing plants to help stave off algae at the beginning stages. Then you can start to evolve the scape from there by switching to the more desired plants. Lots of people use sumps, but I'll leave that to others, as I don't have any personal experience. Any plans for co2? Or fertilization? I'd recommend pressurized co2 and estimative index (EI) dosing of dry fertilizers. Hope this info is useful. Welcome to the forum!

PS I'm sure NBot's response was not intended to offend. That is pretty common (and useful) advice for many who are new to the forum. Just my $0.02

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

I feel no offense it was just a matter of if I was on track or not. I love learning and I would never wanna get in over my head. I have been lurking for a while and have had ideas and I let them out. I would like to have a fishy environment in my house and would like to make the most out of it. There are so many benefits to this hobby and I would like them to be as stress free as I can make it, understanding there are things that have to be done on a regular basis. I think estimative indexes will come once I see the water tables come around.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Frogballs...that's just my "signature" in every post...you can't expect everyone to type out all the info in this hobby everytime a new person comes along, I'm sure you realize that would get tiring...read up on the basics that other people have already summarized, then hop in with some specific questions This hobby is what you make of it, there's sooooo much info, and not everyone agrees on everything, but most folks agree on most things, there's a ton of info to get started reading on, enough to make your brain hurt for a few weeks....take some time, read up on RexGrigg, there are other "Stickys" at the top of the sub-forums you could read until you are familiar w/ the basics...."how to get started threads" etc. There are threads in the "Substrate" section on how to make hills. Threads on which substrate to use. Threads on DIY or pressurized CO2. Threads on lighting. Don't just hang out in the "general discussion" area here. Each thread is an open conversation, go ahead and find what you want to know more about and jump in...YES, you've got a good start, but to save you some money and head-ache, I'd read up more before starting to buy equipment, there's a lot of options here to consider....good luck

NOTE: To do a *SEARCH* and get the answer you want, its often best to go to "Advanced Search" and search in the title only.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode