best algae eaters for an anubias tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
best algae eaters for an anubias tank

I've got a 125g mainly anubias plus a few crypts and ferns as space fillers.

I've got 5 SAE's to start with. What are the best plecos? I've had bristlenose in the past. I just wanted to see if any others that are worth a try?

Thanks
Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
I enjoy the gold nugget pleco. Good looking and a eating machine

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 01:22 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I LOVE my hillstream loaches. They look cool and are GREAT algae-eaters. My three 1.5-2" specimens cleared my 54 gallon in not even two days.

They were bought under the wholesaler-name "butterfly loach", apparently a longer-finned variety of the standard hillstream loach.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 01:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
both of the above stated do par possibly sub par jobs of algae removal. In a tank with large leaves like that you would want to have bristlenose, otto's, and nerites snails. The nerites are able to get on these such leaves because they can support the weight of this snail. For fish you definatley want ottos and bristlenose.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 01:47 AM

You're crazy. My hillstream loaches first cleared the glass, then spent all their time on the Amazon sword leaves. They enjoy the driftwood as well, but the glass and leaves are their favorites. And I've personally watched them clean fully-covered leaves of all their algae.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 02:10 AM

Although, to be fair, my abn's are quite the nibblers.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I heard ottos are really good but I've had no luck in survival. Any advice??? What about a farowella?

A hillstream loachs are cool fish but wouldn't be happy in this tank setup b/c its too warm and lacks a strong current.

Keep the suggestions coming. I'd like to consider different species of plecos. My SAE's don't really tackle the green spot algae that inevidably clings to the anubias.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
I just picked up 2 hill stream loaches today, should have enough flow/O2 for them now w/ my new pump setup Pretty excited, the glass could use some working a little bit so I hope they earn their pay...

But, my FAVORITE pleco is a Long Fin Bushy Nose....his flowing gown/fins are so cool when he floats across the tank...and, he's the hardest working fish, and isn't shy like most other pleco's hiding all day, he's out in the open eating away...someone is breeding them locally in town here...

I've got 3 SAE's, 10-11 Amano's, but yah, no one touches the algae on the Anubia's, would like to hear suggestions as well...

NOTE: To do a *SEARCH* and get the answer you want, its often best to go to "Advanced Search" and search in the title only.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode