AqAdvisor is flawed... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
AqAdvisor is flawed...

This says my tank is overstocked and needs more filtration it doesn't factor in plants.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.p...rchMode=simple

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SUNSUN Pimp #103 Model HW505a Fraternity of Dirt #155
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
AQAdvisor is for people getting started without plants. There's no way to make an application that factors in plants. Way too many variables.

Once you know how the biology and chemistry of a tank works, you are comfortable with water testing and changes, and have developed stoic patience of a hobby veteran, you can really go without template based advisors.

RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use AqAdvisor just as a guideline and comparing load of certain fish i might want to add.

For example not everything in that link is actually in the tank yet. The white skirt tetras and cherry red shrimp are not in but will be. the cherry reds I'm waiting for warmer weather to get shipped. The white skirt tetras will actually be glofish tetras that the kids want (Easter or summer birthday presents)

I used this to compare compatibility and bio load when adding other fish.

For example when I was looking at putting tiger bards in and got these warning.
Quote:
Warning: Cherry Shrimp may become food for Tiger Barb.
Warning: Tiger Barb is too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.
Wanting some bigger fish for a "center piece" I was looking at Gourami I got basically the same warning for Blues Gourami but not Pearl Gourami.

It also gives good warnings about how many fish to keep together and other considerations like:

Quote:
Note: Ruby Shark may jump - lids are recommended.
Warning: Ruby Shark needs to be kept alone.
Warning: At least 5 x Redline Shark are recommended in a group.
Now do I take those recommendations as law - NO but it does give me things to think about and consider.

I had to fudge my filter because I have a 55/75 which isn't and option only the Aqueon 55 is and the 55/75 has more the twice the flow. It also does not take into account sponge filters or under-gravel filters.

For my(wife's) 3 gal betta tank (I male betta, 1 oto and 3 ghost shrimp) this is what it tells me

Quote:
Warning: Betta [Male] is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 2.3 inches.
Warning: Betta [Male] is not recommended to be with Ghost Shrimp - further research is highly recommended.
Warning: Oto is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 2 inches.
I don't believe any of that.

Again AqAdvisor is just one tool that can be useful in giving you things to consider but should not be the only tool you use or thought of as having hard fast laws in the reccomendations

3 Gal Betta Tank | 10 Gal Shrimp/Fry Tank |

Last edited by Lynrem; 01-29-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: correct spelling error

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynrem View Post
I sue AqAdvisor just as a guideline and comparing load of certain fish i might want to add.
I took me a few seconds to realize that you are *using* and not *suing" the website
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

They might want to add a "planted' or "heavily planted" option since plants are a huge factor.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This looks cool. I didn't even know it existed. Appears to be more of general a guideline rather than a precision tool..

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.Gitter View Post
I took me a few seconds to realize that you are *using* and not *suing" the website

oops - editing to correct now

3 Gal Betta Tank | 10 Gal Shrimp/Fry Tank |
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey everyone-
I'm kind of new to planted tanks and not sure how to account for the added O2 and reduced waste that comes with a planted tank. Can you help me account for this when judging my stock levels? Is there a guideline to follow? I have a 90G running dual Fluval 406 filters and I do a 25% w/c once per week. My fish are not full grown at the moment, but AQadvisor says that I'm at full capacity assuming adult size (which is the smart thing to account for, obviously).

My stock is:
2 small angelfish
5 two inch boesemani
12 neons (angels can't eat them yet)
6 black neons
5 sterbai cory
2 med SAE
2 Bolivian Rams
1 apisto cacatuoides

Given my filtration, w/c routine, and the fact that my tank is planted where does that put me? More than anything I'm just curious, it's not that I feel the need for many more fish.

Last edited by mattjm20; 01-29-2014 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Typo
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agree that AgAdvisor is just another useful tool but further research may be needed. I think is useful as a starting point. I like the "warnings" or tips it gives.

Taking plants into consideration would be helpful .. maybe I'll make a request.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
When I was in the started stages of my two tanks AA was a HUGE help. Yeah, it's not perfect, but it gives a great overview, and as others have pointed out, it gives some warnings that you can further investigate and make a determination on.

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

TPT says I'm an algae grower... I'd like to think of myself as one hell of a Cabomba farmer.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothBoris View Post
They might want to add a "planted' or "heavily planted" option since plants are a huge factor.
Define those two.

How about light and dosing as well as those will effect the vigor of growth and thus nitrate uptake....?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 04:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
As others have stated previously there are far too many variables to take into consideration. One example is on aquaclear filters i never use the stock media it brings. Instead i load it with my own media that is far more effective. Not to mention the massive amounts of plants some people have for their systems. I am one to always overstock my tanks if we use the conventional stocking formula. But i stock to the brim on plants and provide huge volumes of filtration along with doing water changes religiously 2 times a week.

29 Gallon Anubias/Java Fern Tank-

Last edited by NYCaqua; 01-31-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Further explaination
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Maybe just have a box you can check for "planted" that will raise the filtration factor by just a little.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode