Need help with ich! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help with ich!

Hi every body.
I was looking at my tank just a minute ago and noticed one of my oto's lying on his side in my blyxa japonica breathing heavily. Looking at my other oto it looks like they have ich. What are the best ways to treat? I did a quick search and it looks like heating the water to around 86 degrees is the way to go, but are there any meds or anything that I can add that won't affect my shrimp or plants? I can't set up a qt because i dont have the equipment at the moment? Also, I have some Melafix, would help help the fishes slime coat or will it affect my plants/shrimp?

any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:51 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Otos are sensitive, so maybe just raising the temp. Also perform a WC to make sure the water is clean. Ich will not effect shrimp or plants. IMO, I would try to leave the tank alone and maybe reduce the amount of lights for a few days. My reasoning is, ich is caused by illnesses, due to some kind of stress. If the lights are off most of the time, the fish rest. Therefore, less stress.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I just did a 50% water change with slightly warmer water and turned the heater up a bit. I'll only tyrn the lights on for a couple of hours a day now.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't have a clue about otos as I've never researched or kept these fish but I always add 1 TBS aquarium salt per 5 gallons of aquarium water and increase temp to 86 to fight ich. Works like a charm. I haven't a clue if otos are sensitive to salt though. You'll want to research that before you try it. ICH is actually a parasitic disease and these parasites can't tolerate heat or salt. I don't believe the Melafix can hurt anything but I've never had any luck with it helping to cure ICH. Nor has just increasing the temp alone ever done any good for me. It's always taken both temp and salt to turn the trick.

Keep in mind that when you increase the water temp, it can only dissolve a fraction of the oxygen if can hold at lower temps so you'll need to add an aerator or 2 to compensate.

HTH.
________
HugeGabe cam

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 01:22 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Planted Member

I've boosted the temp as high as 90 before on my reef tank. Risky???

But saltwater fish are expensive.

Ich is an ectoparasite (sp?).

When you up the temp it speeds up their life cycle to the stage where they fall off the fish.

They are always lurking.

I have also used malachite green or blue???

Don't know if you want to med. though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. It looks like oto's are sensitive to salt so I won't try it. I'll see how I go with raising the temp for a while, I've already unplugged my CO2 and added an airstone. If this doesn't work I will try setting up a little quarintine tank for my fish and dosing it with malachite and leaving the display fishless for a while. Thanks for the help.

Daniel
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 03:23 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
To be completely honest every medication I have used available at a retail LFS has killed a fish when used.

The best method would be cranking the heat up to at least 88 (preferably 90) degrees, anything above 86 speeds up the cycle and kills the parasite as its only vulnerable in one stage out of three.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the plants during this treatment period. I had an ick outbreak when I first got into aquariums and was advised to use the heat treatment. At the time I just had alot of Anacharis and it melted and polluted the tank because of the heat. The fish, came through perfectly. Since then I have helped friends who refused to buy a heater and purchased medication instead - in turn killing most of the fish.

The Otos will be fine with heat, avoid the salt at all costs though with them. And make sure to add some sort of aeration as the heat will lower the oxygen in the water. Also, a quarantine tank at the moment is pointless, the ick will live in the gravel so moving the fish could cause additional stress - and even then if you don't treat the original tank the parasite could still be alive.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Heat and Kordon Ich Attack (100% organic) did the trick for my otos. I lost one, but that was because I added salt in a panic before I found out about Ich Attack. Ich Attack is safe for inverts and plants unlike the stuff with malachite green/blue in it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode