Does anyone have yellow apple snails or golden mystery snails? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does anyone have yellow apple snails or golden mystery snails?

Sorry to post another snail question!
At my LFS there are black and yellow snails labeled as Mystery snails.
I'm wondering first, if they are safe to add to a planted tank? Second are they helpful with keeping the tank looking cleaner?

From what I understand the yellow ones are actually apple snails, and any with the scientific name Pomacea bridgesii should not eat live plants..

Does anyone have these snails in their tank? Please share your opinions on them. Thanks!

Last edited by annyann; 01-29-2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Fix an error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have an ivory mystery snail, and he's definitely plant safe. But they're not the best cleaners and they have a huge bio-load. I love them anyway; they're like little aliens with their long siphons and antennae!

If you just want snails to clean your tank get nerites (if you can stand the eggs) or ramshorns.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
malaysian trumpet snails also do a great job cleaning algae off walls and plants and they eat the mulm in your substrate too. They're nocturnal so you won't see very many of them during the day.

-Neil

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
The yellow ones are Golden Mystery snails. Some stores call them Golden Incas for cutesy names, they are mystery snails the same as the other colors.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
and mystery snails are Pomacea diffusa the bridgesii is the OLD name that was found to be wrong.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (71/100%)
I have a tank full of snails. They have a LARGE bioload and eat really slowly.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks everyone, I'm gonna get two of the yellow mystery snails aka apple snails. I think there cool and maybe they will be of some help with dead plant matter.
There is a Wal-Mart I visited a few months back and there tanks were infested with snails of all different shell shapes... I don't buy fish or inverts form Wal-Marts normally, but I may go back and look at there snails again. I think I can get some of several different kinds there.. All the snails that were there were small, no bigger than a pond snail, so I'm not sure if all of them will be welcome additions. Are Ramshorns and malaysian trumpet snails about the size of pond snails?

Now on the black Mystery snails, are they the same species as the yellow mystery snails aka apple snail?
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

mystery snails comes in black, brown, yellow, blue, purple, ivory, olive, jade

http://www.angelfire.com/va/myevolut.../bridgesii.htm
old site but still very imformative.

Applesnail.net is also good too.

Also. APPLE SNAILS is a family species name. Kinda like corys but there is many different kinds.

The one you are buying is pomacea diffusa. The only one of its kind that eats dead plants. If the plant is dying it will eat it. Possible that it will eat live if not fed.

Last edited by nyxkitten; 01-29-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: name
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Melanoides tuberculata aka malaysian trumpet snail can be up to 1 1/2"

Planorbis rebrum aka ramshorn snail can be as big as a quarter if kept well
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Algae Grower

i had one before, they will eat soft plants like stargrass stem plant..
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 PM
Algae Grower

We at one time had in excess of 100 apple snails in one of our tanks. Never expected all those eggs to hatch.

Anyhow, we have kept these snails for quite some time now. Our experience is that they will definitely eat live plants. But not all live plants. Fine plants like hairgrass, or needle-leaf plants will get eaten. But broad leaf plants are normally safe.

When you have a population explosion, all bets are off. The baby snails are like locust and will eat everything they can find. We lost two bamboo shrimp to the swarm of baby apple snails. No joke, we caught the buggers eating the arms off one of the bamboo shrimp and moved the poor guy to another tank for safety.

Also, don't expect them to reduce the bioload of the tank. Apple snails are big. And their poop is as big as a similarly-sized fish.

We've enjoyed the snails. They're fun to watch as they cruise around the tank. But we've decided we won't be adding them to future tanks.

Also, the trumpet snails don't always disappear during the day. Right now, our substrate has so many trumpet snails on it they look like maggots on a carcass. And that's in a tank with two loaches. Trumpet snails will explode in population quite quickly. If it wasn't for the nerite snails I'd buy some assassin snails to help clean out the tank.

So I guess my advice would be to get some nerite snails. They won't successfully breed in fresh water. So they will never overpopulate the tank. And get some shrimp to help clean up.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxkitten View Post
mystery snails comes in black, brown, yellow, blue, purple, ivory, olive, jade

http://www.angelfire.com/va/myevolut.../bridgesii.htm
old site but still very imformative.

Applesnail.net is also good too.

Also. APPLE SNAILS is a family species name. Kinda like corys but there is many different kinds.

The one you are buying is pomacea diffusa. The only one of its kind that eats dead plants. If the plant is dying it will eat it. Possible that it will eat live if not fed.
Thank you so much for the links, I will read them as soon as I finish this. Those mystery snails in the pic are way prettier than the black and yellow ones at the LFS..
The picture of the malaysian trumpet snail and ramshorn snail look just like what that Wal-Mart had. I guess it's a safe bet that's what they are then. Thanks again for the info.
You seem very knowledgeable about snails so I will ask for your opinion please.. If you were choosing between the trumpet, ramshorn, and mystery snail for a planted tank, which would you get? Or would you say they are all about the same as far as good in a planted tank goes? I hope that makes sense.. Thank you
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 11:48 PM
Algae Grower

^ lol my mystery snail laid a batch of eggs too, didnt look like much but i ended up getting 100s... i ended up feeding them to my assassin snails, there was so much food for them that the assassin snails started breeding... i soon ended up with 100s of assassin snails... lol true story
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGorilla View Post
We at one time had in excess of 100 apple snails in one of our tanks. Never expected all those eggs to hatch.

Anyhow, we have kept these snails for quite some time now. Our experience is that they will definitely eat live plants. But not all live plants. Fine plants like hairgrass, or needle-leaf plants will get eaten. But broad leaf plants are normally safe.

When you have a population explosion, all bets are off. The baby snails are like locust and will eat everything they can find. We lost two bamboo shrimp to the swarm of baby apple snails. No joke, we caught the buggers eating the arms off one of the bamboo shrimp and moved the poor guy to another tank for safety.

Also, don't expect them to reduce the bioload of the tank. Apple snails are big. And their poop is as big as a similarly-sized fish.

We've enjoyed the snails. They're fun to watch as they cruise around the tank. But we've decided we won't be adding them to future tanks.

Also, the trumpet snails don't always disappear during the day. Right now, our substrate has so many trumpet snails on it they look like maggots on a carcass. And that's in a tank with two loaches. Trumpet snails will explode in population quite quickly. If it wasn't for the nerite snails I'd buy some assassin snails to help clean out the tank.

So I guess my advice would be to get some nerite snails. They won't successfully breed in fresh water. So they will never overpopulate the tank. And get some shrimp to help clean up.
Well reading your experiences with the mystery snails make me a little nervous about getting them. Gosh I don't want to potentially put locust in my tank
These are the kinda things I was wanting to know though, peoples experiences. So thank you for sharing that.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honest View Post
^ lol my mystery snail laid a batch of eggs too, didnt look like much but i ended up getting 100s... i ended up feeding them to my assassin snails, there was so much food for them that the assassin snails started breeding... i soon ended up with 100s of assassin snails... lol true story
Oh wow, that's a LOT of snails! Did your 100's of baby mystery snails eat your plants if you had any?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode