DHG Turned White.. Salvageable? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
DHG Turned White.. Salvageable?

So I bought DHG from here. It came in looking half alive. I stuck it in the tank (ferts, co2, and light) but it started floating and I didn't fix it for 2 days. Now it is completely white. It looks like a bunch of roots now.

Is this salvageable? If so, anything special I need to do to it? It's been "planted" for 24 hours now.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
nope looks pretty much dead to me. At first i thought you had planted the plants upside down and those were roots!

-Neil
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/80%)
Looking at your other plants, it looks like your plants aren't getting correct nutrients?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
There are still some green strands so I would removed the completely dead sections and just leave the green leaves.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade0328 View Post
Looking at your other plants, it looks like your plants aren't getting correct nutrients?
They all are brand new either from LFS or from the FS section on here. The tank was just stood up on Monday. I threw them all in and haven't had time to do anything with them.

[
|
|
]
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Mine did the same thing. I bought a TC package from petsmart that was green. Didn't have time to separate it and do the lawn thing, so I just stuck the entire patch down. Did great for a while, then started turning brown. Then after awhile little green sprouts came out.

I tried separating it last night but it was a mess so I just pulled them apart into 5 chunks and threw it back into the tank. Looks horrible but hopefully they make it. I should have separated it from the beginning. It's okay as my tank is still cycling so decaying matter is a plus.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
this is what happen to my DHG when added to the Eco complete

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
this is what happen to my DHG when added to the Eco complete
Did it ever recover?

[
|
|
]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 01:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
i would trim as much of the brown dead stuff as you can off, leave the green and leave the roots
there is an ever so slight possibility that some if it will survive

what substrate are you using?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is that a Java Fern with buried rhizome on the right? That's not good.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagerl View Post
Is that a Java Fern with buried rhizome on the right? That's not good.
Yes, I basically threw everything in real fast and wasn't thinking. Thanks for catching that. All better now

[
|
|
]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
You bought them here? Were they healthy before?

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
You bought them here? Were they healthy before?
They came in half half dead but the big fault was with me. I didn't have time to plant them so I just threw them in one of my tanks to float. By the time I got around to doing something (2 days later) they were all white as seen in the photo.

[
|
|
]

Last edited by rdmustang1; 01-31-2014 at 02:24 AM. Reason: typo
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 03:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I did a dry start with some DHG in a small 8 gallon tank
they did ok, the old growth started to die off but new little green sprouts started to pop up in and around the brown stuff
After a while i had a serious mold/fungus issue, lots had white growth on them
I cleaned off what I could and moved them to a 10 gallon established tank
I lost about half to fungus
After a few days about half the brown leaves turned back to green!! I was amazed by this
On top of that a lot of the new little leaves continued to grow as well
Theyre doing a lot better now
I wouldnt discount them as dead just yet, mine made a miraculous rebound but all mine had been planted and none were floating
I hope you get them to start growing again
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, my impatience got the better of me. Strands were growing all over but in small numbers. I pulled out about 100 strands of grass with roots and planted them individually. I threw away all the rest of the mess. I'm sure it'll take forever to recarpet but that's what I get for not making time for my tank.

[
|
|
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode