Traditional Dutch Plant aquariums - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Traditional Dutch Plant aquariums

For the past year and a half I have been researching the traditional Dutch Planted Aquarium, and speaking to traditional Dutch masters of the decades old tradition thru an interpreter and using a dutch/english translating program. The result has been a wealth of information that has rarely been published in English, and photos from five Dutch masters that range in age from 34 to 68 that I have compressed into a feature article that comes out in Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine in January 08 , which actually comes to print this month, (November)

The only other writing of authentic Dutch plant aquariums in English was a write up put out by TFH in the late 90s which was written by

Arend van den Nieuwenhuizen, for TFH and translated by Dr Herbert Axelrod called The Aquarium Beautiful. (I have not been able to find any one in Holland who has actually heard of this person)

Carlos, "Tsunami" wrote an article for Aquatic Plant Central on the subject. The people I talked to are actual competitors and judges in the national competition and have pratical and historical knowledge and experience on the tradition.

I have been fascinated by this subject for years, and I hope other people will enjoy what I have been able to share.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
What a shameless plug...jk haha. That sounds really interesting. I'm sure it was quite an experience talking and learning from some of the best. Good work!

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Most people here know by now I am completly shameless and narsasistic!

Robert Paul Hudson

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 02:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
Most people here know by now I am completly shameless and narsasistic!
When you do good work, that's just fine

Mike

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
Well thats good to know. And I enjoy Dutch aquariums. But I also enjoy the new styles that everyone is doing also. I just love it all

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:31 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
What a shameless plug...jk haha.
LOL!

Glad Robert plugged it. I for one certainly don't want to miss this!

Dutch style is lost art. I am glad Robert took the time and did the work.

Looking forward to it. Please post another reminder whenit hits the news stand.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Riley
I think the Amano style of doing planted tanks is over done right now. Dont get me wrong I love some of the Amano style tanks. But I I love the idea of the Dutch style tanks better. I am looking forward to the article!

--------------

Riley
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 05:37 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is there a link to this magazine? Is it online only or in print?

Can someone explain what makes a Dutch aquarium?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 05:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

Basically, the Dutch style is based on creating a layered or terraced look. An over-simplified way of describing this is that the background uses taller plants, with medium height plants in the middle, and low-lying plants towards the front. Symmetry is avoided in this style, and one should try to avoid having a dead-center focal point. Try reading some sites about dutch-style aquascapes for a more complete view. HTH
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/02/...aquariums.html

Mike

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I am looking forward to this article!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The link to the magazine is in my signature which I just updated because I didn't realize it was broken. The magazine is printed by Bow Tie inc, which also publishes Aquarium Fish International Magazine. The mag is in all Petsmart and Petco stores. You can download it from the internet during the month of the printing, (January), you can subscribe to the print version from the WEB too. The downloaable version, (which is free) is pretty cool, but I like getting the mag in the mail.

I also write a monthly column in it called "The Planted Tank", and no I did not rip off the name from here! I took over the column from a woman who had been writing it for a few years. You guys in Jersey probably know her. January marks the first complete year for me writing the column.

Quote:
Can someone explain what makes a Dutch aquarium?
You can see from the photo what a typical Dutch layout looks like. The plants are arranged in groups like a garden by color and contrast. In the Netherlands they actually hold a national competition, where winners from local clubs and districts compete against each other. The judges acually travel from home to home. The planted tank is one catagory of several. The competition has been going on since the 1950s. You will have to read my article to get more info!

Robert Paul Hudson

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 09:42 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is way cool! I would love to talk to the oldschoolers. What a great opportunity!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Its available for download now here

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-maga...nuary-toc.aspx

I also have a feature article being published in TFH magazine coming out this April.

Robert Paul Hudson

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Very nice. I tried doing a dutch, but having problems so I had to take out a lot of plants

How do you keep up circulation without blowing the plants over?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Robert it sounds like a great article.

If I subscribe online, do I get the magazines in print? Or is that just for the online magazine?

Hopefully I'll get to read it soon,
-Andrew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode