Snails......from nowhere?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snails......from nowhere?!

Yep, this is just how it sounds. I have snails in my tank.....that must've come from absolutely nowhere. I honestly cannot explain how they got there. For the past few weeks i've been seeing tiny little little snails in my aquarium. They disappeared for a bit, and now the biggest one i've seen so far(which is no bigger than my fingertip) showed up today. See, normally this wouldnt bother me if I had real plants in my tank, however, everything in my tank is fake. I've got plastic plants and fake decor(until I get my move my fish and get my real stuff), so I have no clue how in the world snails appeared in my tank. I haven't added new fish in almost a year, or anything else, like seeded media, etc. I dont mind them, because I figure they'll eat the algae in my tank, but I'd just like to find out how they got there. Any ideas?

Here's a pic:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
That's pretty weird. However, it seems these guys are quite hardy and can stow away in the substrate for long periods of time, so they may have been introduced long ago when you put something into the tank. Who knows

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpodolan View Post
That's pretty weird. However, it seems these guys are quite hardy and can stow away in the substrate for long periods of time, so they may have been introduced long ago when you put something into the tank. Who knows
Well I did seed some media from a pet store a while back, so maybe they stowed away in that? Still.....that was almost two years ago o_O

EDIT: And I threw that media away a while ago.....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 02:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Well, it's possible. They had to be introduced somehow, so I would say that was the most likely way. They could have been living in the media and then in the filter, and then made their way to the rest of the tank.. they're crafty little guys!

Mike

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 02:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

I wouldn't be surprised. The eggs are surprisingly resilient. Neat little guys!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 10:04 PM

I'm firmly convinced after a nuclear war snails may take over the earth.

I had gravel sitting in a crate in storage for 3 months. I restarted the tank (adding only water and gravel) and voila snails appeared.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
snails and cockroaches.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 03:36 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
poooonnnd snail...

I've always wonder if those algae wafers you feed catfish can carry the snail eggs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode