Vote for Glasscages.com for nice work and service - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Vote for Glasscages.com for nice work and service

I recently purchased several custom rimless tanks from Glasscages.com.
Their service and prices where second to none.

They do deliveries that are quite reasonable along their trucking route actually.
I ordered a 180 gallon 6x2x2 tank, rimless, starfire glass(except the bottom), 3/4" thick glass, they took care of the order like they'd done 100 of them.

Cheaper than the ADA version which is thinner glass and not the low iron starfire. Holes, overflows, nice stands from solid oak(at 24 or 30" heights), many various plant friendly shapes(shallow wide and long etc). Hard to beat.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
so basically, they have not arrived yet.
complaints about glasscages do not bring
their value and custom features into doubt,
just their water tight integrity after setup.
let's just hope you have better luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm well versed in tank repair, however, I have read issues and I have personally far more complaints with Oceanic and a couple of makers than these folks.

Until I see otherwise personally, I reserve judgement.
Also, how a company handles things afterwards also makes a large difference.

I've come and fixed 9 large tanks in the last 20 years for other folks. It's typically the owner's, not the maker's fault. In 2 case, it was the companies fault. I repaired the issues and it was fine ever since.

Some issues are cosmetic, those can be tougher to address.
An oceanic tank had some really poor work on the rim for a custom tank. they did not honor the issue. I will never do business with them again after that experience.

Had to break down the tank, remove it, spend 3 working days of labor to redo everything out my pocket. Client was pissed, but not at me, I ate the issue.

I use neoprene base and then styrofoam, then an excellent base stand.
If a tank leaks when properly set up, we can see what they will do.

However, having repaired many tanks myself, I can almost certainly fix it and not have to deal with shipping it back. This is true for any custom tank build job.

I can improve things more by adding a thick frame around the tank, but I do not want that. I also do not want Acrylic.

I also have 3 types of high strength silicone bonds to chose from should anything occur. I'm not anymore worried, actually less so than from Oceanic.

We can talk about any tank maker with this criteria.

As far as bad stuff about them, this guy checked them out pretty good:
http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=11518

And I can spot a leak before it happens, especially on rimless tanks.
I'd imagine so could the maker.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I'm well versed in tank repair, however, I have read issues and I have personally far more complaints with Oceanic and a couple of makers than these folks.

Until I see otherwise personally, I reserve judgement.
Also, how a company handles things afterwards also makes a large difference.

I've come and fixed 9 large tanks in the last 20 years for other folks. It's typically the owner's, not the maker's fault. In 2 case, it was the companies fault. I repaired the issues and it was fine ever since.

Some issues are cosmetic, those can be tougher to address.
An oceanic tank had some really poor work on the rim for a custom tank. they did not honor the issue. I will never do business with them again after that experience.

Had to break down the tank, remove it, spend 3 working days of labor to redo everything out my pocket. Client was pissed, but not at me, I ate the issue.

I use neoprene base and then styrofoam, then an excellent base stand.
If a tank leaks when properly set up, we can see what they will do.

However, having repaired many tanks myself, I can almost certainly fix it and not have to deal with shipping it back. This is true for any custom tank build job.

I can improve things more by adding a thick frame around the tank, but I do not want that. I also do not want Acrylic.

I also have 3 types of high strength silicone bonds to chose from should anything occur. I'm not anymore worried, actually less so than from Oceanic.

We can talk about any tank maker with this criteria.

As far as bad stuff about them, this guy checked them out pretty good:
http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=11518

And I can spot a leak before it happens, especially on rimless tanks.
I'd imagine so could the maker.

Regards,
Tom Barr
any reason you wanted glass vs. acrylic?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I like glass more.
It also does not scratch as easily, but that's less of a concern.

A nice thick Acrylic tank is nice and works well for open top as well, but you need the thicker stuff.

And with 6ft distances, without any upper support, that means 3/4" thick Acrylic also.

Anything beyond 6ft, and glass is really starting to get way too heavy and impractical for open top.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 04:33 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've heard about 90% BAD things about them. Just be careful, readers. I have not dealt with them personally, however, but many trustworthy people I know well have...and got burned.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a GC custom 190 gallon tank and have had zero problems with it. In fact I knew the customer service was a little below par, so I was extra friendly when I called them. Doing this must have worked as they called me twice to ensure everything was going in the right spots, overflow, closed loop holes, return and drain holes. I could not have been happier. In fact out of the 7 tanks I've had custom built over the years, they were second in all aspects behind James at envision acrylics that built a 370 gallon custom acrylic tank for me.

So I did hear about the negatives, but experienced none and the tank is built like... Well a tank

Currently tankless for the first time in 24 years... Getting the itch again
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (19/100%)
Brave move, Tom. Keep us posted.

Rimless tanks are rather unchartered waters in the US. Everything stands and falls with the quality of the silicon job and the used silicon.

Just curious, how many rimless tanks with leaks did you repair so far?

Cheers,
Jens

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:51 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
I've heard them praised for many months without single complaint when I purchased my tank from them. It wasnt till midway through this year that I ever heard anything bad about them, and so far none of it had to do with their glass tanks (other than sloppy silicone which I could care less, and 1 reported catostrophic failure). So far mine is doing just fine. I however am very dissapointed there prices have raised so much. In under 2 years the tank I got has gone up like $150. And beleive me if I ever have any problems the board here will be the first to know.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/100%)
I just purchased a 135 acrylic tank for GC. They had good communication, I picked it up along the route. So far it's been a pleasant experience.
I went with acrylic since my 135 glass tank needed to be resealed. I repaired the tank and sold it. Non the less I don't see any seals to fail. It's way lighter, which helps greatly being it's in my loft.

A few scratches, buying a new tank, selling the old one(and for dirt cheap) . And having a happy WIFE priceless.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've done both acrylic and glass at larger scales, I still like glass.
180 will be heavy, but it'll look sharp too.

Over flows can be a source of leaks, I've seen most there, or a side panel pulled out, cracked etc.

One of my clients has an older one they did.
It's looking good.

There are plenty of acrylic makers around here, few glass tank makers.
I've done enough Acrylic stuff personally and for clients, I know the trade offs.

As long as you use the silicone well, the glass is the more important element, good thickness for the distances and pressures used. Rimless tanks need to be over built and not tall/high.

But I wanted a longer tank, and the glass is 3/4" thick starfire.
Which is thicker than any ADA tank.

So I'm using good glass, and good dimensions.

I spoke with them about the rimless stress and distance, they said the 3/4" thick should pose long term issues, and what I've seen with ADA and others, I have to agree.

As far as leaks, etc, I'm fine with silicone
If you fill a rather pricy order for several tanks, all high line glass, I'd hope you do a good honest job. As long as the tank is set correctly, (I use neoprene base, then a 1/2 styrofoam based on top of that) good stand etc, it should not have any issues. The tank will cure a month before I pick it up, so the silicone will be well cured.

I can get tanks from Lee Mar, but decided since I have to pick them up there in southern CA, I may as well use these folks instead and see. Lee Mar and GC's are about the only folks around. From there it goes to larger engineering firms or myself and more public aquarium displays.
And that's a lot of $ for the home here. Maybe later once I get a house in Marin in a couple of years. I'll do that myself (I love huge headaches)

I likely will not have the tanks set up until Feb or so.
I have to make the lighting and install the filters etc.
I'm in no rush.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Tom, are these your personal tanks, or client tanks? Sounds like a fun project you have going. Any ideas on what types of plants, fish?
Post some pictures when you get it going and have a chance, we'd/I'd love to see.

-Ryan

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (18/100%)
Tom,

Sounds great. Are you going to LA and to pick them up?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, these will be my personal tanks, I've not had anything over a few gallons for a few years now. Even then, maybe a 75 or a 90 and mostly did torture test on plants.

These are going to be scaped and more part of the home. I have a lab to torture weeds now

I have 36 bags of ADA AS sitting here.

David, how's it going? Long time no hear.
Yes, I'll be heading down to do a client's service and then pick up on the way back.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 06:25 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
My only issues with Glasscages are the cheap looking overflows. They make them out of glass which is very ugly I think. Did you get overflows for these tanks?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode