LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Craigslist feedback?

Buying a tank and / or other supplies on craigslist:
Brilliant or . . .
Worst . . . Idea . . . EVER?
Obviously, you can get cool stuff for so much cheaper, but what do you if the tank leaks, the pump doesn't work, or the fish die?
I would appreciate reading about others' experiences and advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:08 AM
Algae Grower

Good q. I'm a big fan of cl and have been keeping tabs of local offers.

My 2 cents. Depending on what you want you can find it with patience. For canister filters, lights and so on its perfect. Nice tanks however seem harder to come by.

Btw: I was at petco the other day and they are doing the dollar per gallon and people on craigslist are selling their tanks just above the current petco price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's hit and miss, unfortunately. But, don't commit to buy unless you can look at it first. Plug lights in, make sure they come on. Ask them for a bucket of water to make sure the filter works (you might want to warn them about this before you get there). Tanks are almost always scratched and in rough shape - that's why they're selling them. I'd do the $1/gallon sale and get new glass and use CL for used equipment.

I've never bought a brand new filter!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 03:10 AM
Algae Grower

I have found that most all people are honest. Especially if you meet them at their house. When negotiating ask about a return if there is an issue when you get home. Asking the right questions is key. Ask a lot of q's and negotiate hard core especially if "OBO" is mentioned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 03:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/80%)
I've got all of my stuff from craigslist lol. Why not? Just put water in it and see if it holds water. You can get tanks for nothing on craigslist.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 03:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
craigslist is like an online yardsale. You pay, you walk, no guarantees. Ask questions first, ask to test it on how it works (hold water, filter kicks on when in water etc.)

It's no different than ebay protection does not cover if you do local pick up because you are face to face and have the option to not take it home if something is wrong with it, and you select to hand over the money and take the item.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I got my 75g & my 20 long from Craigslist. I asked a lot of questions such as whether it leaks, how long has it been empty, where has it been stored (figure it helps to know how good the silicone *might* be) .. & when talking while looking over the tank you pick up some stuff that you might forget to ask.

When I went to look at the 75g he said it'd been empty more than a year & when I asked about leaks he filled it up for me to test it. He had a Python water changer so it was a breeze to fill from the hose & drain with the Python which he included in the sale. It did have a few minor scratches but for a 75 gal with very heavy duty stand, 3 filters (one was an AquaClear 70), gravel, decorations, fake plants, the Python & the fact I needed a bigger tank badly it was well worth $125.00 for me. The few minor scratches aren't that noticeable.

Bought my 20g tank from another person. It looked brand new. He said if it leaked I could bring it back for refund. It didn't leak & was in perfect shape. I wanted to buy his 150 gal but he didn't want to sell it. LOL

So yeah you can get some good deals from Craigslist. I don't live in a big city so my choices are VERY limited. Very few large tanks & almost never any equipment.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
Craigslist is a great resource for cheapish stuff. Buyer beware, as the saying goes. I've gotten some great deals off the website. Never fish, but I have adopted other animals from there. A healthy dose of common sense and skepticism will protect you.

As a safety issue, I always meet Craigslist sellers in a public place rather than their own homes....Or, if you go to their place, take someone with you.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Algae Grower

Hit or miss. I've got 5 new tanks that I need to get rid of so they'll on CL soon enough. Just be sure to look everything over.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

CL is where you can get deals on acrylic tanks. I wouldn't buy a tank you can get new from Petco $1/gallon list. Otherwise odd ball sized tanks and acrylic is the way to go for good deals.

Obviously inspect it prior.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Craigslist is only as good as the buyer and seller make it. There are idiots on both sides of that fence so you have to be alert. If you want to see a tank doesn't leak, know what to look for. Water doesn't run down the side without leaving marks, so look. If you want to be sure, see it filled. Most honest sellers are willing to do it but there needs to be something given in return. If you are an honest buyer, you will show up when you say and not try to screw the seller out of the last nickle. If it is a bargain, buy it, not whine.
Good fish are easy to find. All you have to do is know a good fish when you see it, know a good price and pay it! I'm done breeding and selling fish due to cheapskates. Negotiate, yes, whine NO!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I got my oddball sized tank on CL - it was expensive for a used tank but it was the dimensions I needed and discontinued from stores. Like other said just ask questions and look it over real good and test it as much as you can.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I buy and sell on CL for profit as a small side job. Mostly it just pays for some of my expensive hobbies. I'll usually do 3-4 deals every week. My exposure is much higher than the average user. In my experience, CL is a great way to buy and sell things. Every now and then I'll come across somebody that pisses me off but honestly it's rare. CL can be a great place to get used aquarium items. Just keep hawking the postings every day and don't be afraid to pounce when the time is right. It's a tough balance between being aggressive and patient...
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
i got a 57 gallon rimless tank and stand from CL for $160.
just the tank itself brand new cost $540.

the tank is awesome. no leaks and looks amazing.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

From my experiences, most of craigslist (personals, employment, for sale, housing, etc.) is a complete crapshot. Some really straight-foward honest people, some scammers, some deluded folk, some difficult people, some staging muggings, etc.

As to aquarium-specific, it seems to be all over the map. A lot of overpriced tanks, but occasional deals as well. A few months ago I ran across an add where someone was selling a tank with 20H dimensions, but claiming it held "at least 50-60 gallons", and wanted well over $100 for it.

Reading the 'best of' can be pretty amusing, and give some insight on the types of people that frequent craigslist.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode