Hygrophila Corymbosa ‘angustifolia’ help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hygrophila Corymbosa ‘angustifolia’ help

I'm looking for some help regarding my recently planted Hygrophila Corymbosa ‘angustifolia’. I have a 29 gallon community tank. Prior to two weeks ago, it only contained some anubias, java moss and massimo balls. About two weeks ago, I planted:
Limnophila Aromatica
Myriophyllum Mattogrossense
Ludwigia Repens
Ludwigia "Red" hybrid
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Rosaefolia'
Hemianthus Glomeratus (baby tear)

I am dosing dry SeaChem Equilibrium and potassium nitrate and mono potassium phosphate weekly.

The Ludwigia looks great, and I'm getting new growth. The other plants seem fine (not a ton of obvious growth, but no real obvious issues, either). However the Hygrophila Corymbosa 'angustifolia' doesn't seem to be doing as well. I planted two stems with beautiful long leaves, and I have lost several leaves. In the morning, I'll look closer at the remaining leaves, but I'm wondering if anyone has advice or things to look for?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After closer inspection this morning, the leaves that remain on the two stems that I have seem okay. I'm just surprised I lost so many leaves - probably about a half dozen or so.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm by no means an expert but since no one else answered yet I'm going to guess the Hygrophila was grown emersed (out of water) & is going through an adjustment period.

I could be wrong though ... if so, hopefully someone will correct me.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Mine is doing the same thing currently, so you are not alone.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good to hear, thanks. It turns out that one of the leaves that "fell off" got hung up on my anubias covered rock. I decided to leave it there to see if it continues to grow. I also replanted another one that came off and looked pretty healthy. Maybe this was my plant's way of telling me that it wanted to divide! Obviously, if those two leaves start to die / rot, I'll pull them out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought two of these and they both melted almost completely. I have salvaged two small sections that are now planted in the soil and while they haven't grown much yet (no CO2 for me), they also haven't melted.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Strange - when I look them up, most sites discuss how easy they are to grow (with or without CO2). I do not use CO2. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on them.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
People have already touched on this, but often these plants are grown emmersed, and will lose those leaves when you add them to your tank.

People often also get a bundle of 6 or so stems wrapped up together with a plant weight. I think these plants do better if you plant each stem separately, so that each stem has some "breathing room" and can get light.

Someone please feel free to correct me, cause I've certainly been guilty of spreading around hearsay before.

Also, and this one I know from experience, if your plants do melt, it's possible for the pieces floating around to grow roots and voila, you have a whole new (albeit small) plants that's already acclimated to your tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode