Almost gassed my fish! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Almost gassed my fish!

Came home from work today and heard the clicking of my electronic co2 regulator going way too fast. CO2 was really pumping in. I saw one angelfish with its mouth at he surface, found the other one face down by the bottom. Thought for sure he was dead, but I netted him and brought him towards the top. I lowered the water level so the spray bar was breaking the surface, did a partial water change. He started breathing and moving again! I still have the my spray bar above the surface for agitation ang stuck an airstone in.
I hope too much damage wasnt done and all my fish make it. The rams were gasping by the bottom so I netted them and brought them to the top for some air too.

Unfortunately, one fish is a goner, it swam up the water changer tube and got its head stuck and was dead by the time I could get it out.

All this after a power outage yesterday that had me worried my bio filter would die. Must have bumped the knob on the co2 regulator and didnt know because it is on a timer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
There are always new threads about people gassing their fish, which is why I will only have a low light low tech tank.

Sorry to hear one of your guys didn't make it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
There are always new threads about people gassing their fish, which is why I will only have a low light low tech tank.

Sorry to hear one of your guys didn't make it.
It does suck but there's really no reason to not use CO2 because of it. Its like plane crashes, you only hear about the bad stuff, not the millions of other flights that arrive safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I agree fully, shambhalove!

But...no matter what the statistics, there will always be those that refuse to fly

-Stef*
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
How long was the power outage? Unless you're running 48 hours without power, you didn't even have to worry about the BB dying off.

RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
DIY co2 ftw, only downside is the sheer amount of sugar I go through lol
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 09:42 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambhalove. View Post
... Its like plane crashes, you only hear about the bad stuff, not the millions of other flights that arrive safe.
I'm going to say its more akin to a "private pilots" risk of an accident... or even much riskier than even that.

I could be way off, but I'd venture to say that perhaps 1 out of 20 aquarium co2 installations ends in a dump at some point or another, or some type of over gassing due to regulator fluctuations (whether caused by leaks, not refilling the tank or operator error)

What does anyone else think?

1 out of 10,0000?
1 out of 1000?
1 out of 100?
1 out of 10?????

I've found quite a few really decent two-stage regs on ebay this week for 50 to 75 bucks. That's not too bad, and that basically eliminates most of the risk.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well a day later and all inhabitants seem fine, except of course the water changer suicide.

Gstitch, the power outage was only about 12hr
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I really dont believe its 1 in 20. I think its impossible to put a number on something like that, plus a lot of gassing's are some sort of user error not regs failing all the time.

Same idea goes for asking a piece of equipment to do something it wasnt designed to do, then i fails...this is the equipment's fault?

Im not saying the OP did anything wrong, just some thoughts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode