Planted Chiclid Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Planted Chiclid Tank

Chiclid's are a fish I've never done much with, if anything.....

But, the wife wants blood parrots so I promised her I would reset up the 46 Gallon as a Planted Chiclid tank for them.

Right now though I'm at a loss as to where to start.

I know some members on here are doing planted Chiclid tanks so I could really use some help in figureing out what plants, etc... to put in.

I could also use help in choosing tank mates, which they won't eat and won't touch the plants, that I can place in the tank while getting the plants to grow out.

Essentially I'm starting the 46 Gallon Bowfront back up. I want to start with some low light plants to begin with and then add the higher life plant after I get a couple of fixtures from AH Supply to put in the 125 Gallon.

This is going to be a long running project, I don't expect to add the Blood Parrots for at least 2 months. Right now I want to get the aquascape in place w/ some plants that they won't tear to pieces and let them grow in.

So, any help/advice is appreciated.

125 Gallon AGA w/ Overflows
Filtration: Ehiem 2026 Filter, Dual "Ghetto" Overflow Internal Filters
Lighting: 1x96W Current USA CF - 2x96W Generic CF
Co2: Pressurized Co2 - Rex Grigg Regulator, SMS 122, and Rex Grigg Reactor.
Plants: Pogostemon yatabeanus, Foxtail, Bacopa, Egeria najas, Anubius, E. 'Ozelot Red', Ranalisma rostrata, Hornwort, Rotala Indica, Ludwigia Repens, Vals, Cabomba, Lilly, MoneyWort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have kept several species of dwarf Cichlids in planted tanks. They all tend to dig a lot. I wasn't familiar with Blood Parrots but a quick web search turns up a lot of info. They get quite large 6-8" and are active diggers. They are not known as plant eaters but they will dig them up constantly. Most suggestions are to keep them in a tank with lots of rocks and driftwood for them to hide in. It also sounded like you wouldn't want to keep more than a pair in a 50 gallon tank unless you intend to move them once they are fully grown. You will want to add some fast swimming dither fish that inhabit the upper levels of the tank. Without them the Parrots (like most Cichlids) will spend a lot of time hiding.

SR
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
maybe try using java ferns, african ferns, anubias and other low light plants that can be attached to rocks or driftwood. Your other option would be crypts or swords. Once they get established their root systems should be large enough to prevent them from getting dug up.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
You can also put plants in pots to put into the tank.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 05:17 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Ya, I'd use anubias/java fern on driftwood or rock, and potted plants. any stems will likely just become a jungle gym for them. As dithers, maybe some jumbo danios?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
My digging fish have recently started in on their potted plants, so if you use pots, use some mesh or something to keep the fish out of the substrate. And don't use a different color substrate in the pots as outside. It'll get out eventually!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode