Confused, CO2/Liquid Ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Confused, CO2/Liquid Ferts

Well I recently set up a 20L planted in hopes that if it turns out well I'd like to setup a planted discus tank in a 55 I have sitting empty at the moment. I've got alot of plants, java fern, java moss, banana plants, wistera, amazon sword, radican sword, microsword, and a couple different crypts. The tank is pretty full to be honest.

I have been doing my research and posting on another forum a lot but every time I read a topic I end up with more questions then what I tried to solve. Anyways I've got 2 Whisper 10Gal Filters on each end of the tank. They've each got airline tubing running into the impeller from (2) 2 liter bottles filled with a CO2 recipe. My substrate is Flourite and its about 3 inches deep. I also have used Seachem Root tabs. Lighting is a coralife 2x15W 6700K Bulbs, Regular Floursecent tube 20W 6500K, and a 10000k 15W - the lighting is setup on a timer. This isn't my first aquarium, as I have setup numerous 20 Highs and small 10 gallons so I used quite abit of filter media to get a quick cycle.

Levels are reading Ammonia:0 , Nitrite:0, Nitrate:40. And I just did a water change this afternoon to try and lower the Nitrate, was waiting to retest until tomorrow evening.

Anyways, I have some questions on CO2 and Liquid ferts. I obtained alot of sample liquid ferts from my workplace (lfs) and they include : Seachem Potassium, Seachem Excel, Seachem Iron, Seachem Phosphate, Seachem Trace. As my first question :I read the labels, and was going to setup a schedule based on once/twice a week dosing but was curious how am I supposed to know how much and when?

Second, I picked up a GH/KH API test kit and according to the test kit my KH is 2dKH which I put into this calc http://www.fishfriend.com/aquarium_co2_calculator.html as well as my pH(6.0) and I get a ppm of CO2 at 60ppm - Wrong/Right?

I'd like some input on the two above questions, I read some of the stickies about ferts and all but they all mention dry ferts. I tried to search for some topics related but my eyes are starting to bleed!

Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention the tank has been setup for nearly 2-3 weeks now and the plants seem 'decent' but they are covered with flourite dust. They also don't seem to be growing at a crazy rate either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 06:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Try here: http://www.rexgrigg.com/ferts.htm
for the ferts info.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

I went to that website and read up. Chucks Calc is for dry ferts which isn't what I have, as I have the Seachem liquid line of ferts.

I am still confused on how much to add and when. I have Phosphorus test kit, and KH/GH test kit, as well as an API Freshwater kit for Nitrate.

I just don't know how much to add and when..

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 03:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Well, I think most people try to use dry ferts because they are much cheaper in the long run. However, if you want to use the Seachem stuff, try using the Fertilator. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...fertilator.php
Just select each nutrient, the Flourish product that you use for each nutrient, the unit of measurement you plan to use, and your tank size. it will give you a good guideline. Or you can just use the recommended doses on the bottles

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 03:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

Oh, are you sure it's flourite dust covering your plants? It might be diatoms, which are pretty normal for a new tank

Mike

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

It could be diatoms, I am not seeing it anywhere else. Although it has a 'dust' like appearence, meaning if you barely swing your hand or tweezers near the leaf it'll blow the dust off it. The substrate wasn't rinsed that great when I used it so I blame myself for that issue.

I will check out that calculator once I register for that forum and report back.

EDIT: Ok I checked out the calc, its alot more user friendly thats for sure. And I can see what the desired levels need to be and how much I need to dose. But, do I need to pick up a test kit for potassium then as well to get an idea of the level? What about iron etc..?

I also don't see a selection for Seachem Trace which would be the source of my magnesium if I am not mistaken?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Seachem Dosing Chart

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Thats great, after investigating Seachems website they even have a chart labeling exactly when I need to dose and when.

http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantChart.pdf

Anyone want to comment on how valid that is?

Posted at the same time! I feel like a moron
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

When it mentions I need 33mL of potassium , does that mean one day?

Basically I was just going to does the 5mL a day or every other day according to that chart. Yet on that calc mentioned above, it says I need 33mL to obtain the correct ppm. Does that mean by the end of the week it should be 33mL? Which would make more sense...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

If you are going to use the liquid ferts, I would say try it based on the manufacturer's chart. You could also test for NPK to see where your levels are and use the formulas provided by Seachem to dose to the recommended levels. I can't give you much more input on this method, as I use the estimative index (EI) method, which is based on ensuring you have enough nutrients for the plants and doing large (~50%) WCs weekly to prevent any excesses over time. Hopefully someone who uses the Seachem products can give you more specific feedback. I hope you find a dosing schedule that gives you your desired results! Good luck!

Mike

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
When it mentions I need 33mL of potassium , does that mean one day?

Basically I was just going to does the 5mL a day or every other day according to that chart. Yet on that calc mentioned above, it says I need 33mL to obtain the correct ppm. Does that mean by the end of the week it should be 33mL? Which would make more sense...
Hi Gundy,

I'm not sure where You get the 33ml of potassium from, but just follow the chart. You need to do some simple math to determine the dosages, because each item is listed "per x-amount of gallons" (30gals, 50 gals, 60gals, etc). Postassium is listed as "5ml per 30 US gallons", so in a 20gal tank you would only need about 3.3ml per dose. The chart calls for potassium to be dosed 2x per week (day 3 and day 5), so that would be 6.6ml per week total.

Folks that use Seachem ferts and the Seachem chart seem to have satisfactory results from what I have seen over time.

Lighting is the driving force of the system. So, over time, you may need to decrease the lighting and/or photoperiod, or increase your ferts and/or C02. It just depends on how things play out in that tank. Time will tell, but the Seachem chart should be a good starting point for you.

HTH

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The recomended Seachem dosing only provides 2 ppm of potassium.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

I got 33mL from the ferti calc, I have to dose that much to reach the desired 20ppm of potassium according to that calc.

I will just follow the schedule and see what happens!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

First, figure out what you want to go by--the fertilator or the Seachem chart: Up to you!

If you decide not to go with the Seachem chart--this calculator may be more helpful to you:

FertFriend

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

I will start with the Seachem Chart and see how it goes. If it goes well for about a month or when I can see some improvements I was planning on purchasing some dry ferts. I'd hate to purchase abunch of dry ferts, get frustrated and be out of the money after all my plants die because of something I read wrong.

Going to take it one step at a time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode