clear white slime! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
clear white slime!

so in one day, my tank has become infested by a white slime. it is covering all of my plants. it is exactly like what forms on air stones with diy co2. that is the only way i can describe it. it's not a form of algae i know for sure because it is clear. when i use a toothbrush to take some out it is completely clear. this happened all of a sudden! nothing was added to the tank or anything. everything has been going so well with the tank and all of a sudden this crap! anyone have any ideas?

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 05:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
fungus? sometimes it collects on driftwood and plecos eat it.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

it's on everything. not just rocks and driftwood. and it's not from my driftwood or anything. this tank has been set up for months. look at my journal.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok so i took some photos. again, this is no algae. it is just a slime that took over in one single night and i have no clue where it came from. nothing was added or changed in the tank!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 04:30 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do you use DIY CO2 in your tank?

If so, the problem could be that the yeast/sugar has gotten into your tank. This could have happened if you shook the bottle of yeast solution while connected via airline tubing to the tank.

I would suggest doing 50-90 percent water changes every day, even multiple times a day if possible to try to flush out the contaminated water. If you could, taking out the plants, and rinse them off well.

Also, check your filter media, for there might be white stuff clogged inside of its parts. Be sure to rinse that off as well.

Good luck, hopefully the problem will be solved soon.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

no, this tank is pressurized.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 06:43 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks like it could be some kind of bacterial slime, like cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates, but I'm not sure if they technically can be completely clear. They can be virtually any color otherwise, though.

What happens if you siphon out the clear slime? More just appears by the next morning/next few days?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
...eeeeWWWWWW. didja sneeze in the tank?

sorry, can't help you out, no idea on this one. Good luck though!

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm really thinking bacterial. What kind of biological filtration do you have? Upset/exhausted filter bed, maybe?

Tags
clear growth, white algae

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode