135G make any sense to try CO2 with it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
135G make any sense to try CO2 with it?

I finished setting up my 135G (links to pictures below) earlier this month. I haven't worked with anything besides Metricide 14 for carbon. Would it make any sense to add a CO2 system to this setup?

Tank is 36x24x36 inches. I have a 40G regular saltwater style sump with a bubble trap, refugium with divider, and a final short divider before the return pump. I am covering 50% of it with a glass lid. (I could work something to seal it off if that would make sense. (with a finnex planted + and a variety of plants in a small amount of substrate including some java moss)

Lights: 2 36" Finnex planted + on the front and back lid. 2 XB BMLs a 10000k and 6300k.

Floramax substrate and some rocks and driftwood with of course assorted plants.

I use a eshopps hang on back overflow box which runs nearly flawlessly. My Rio 20HF is a little noisy but it works for now.

I also run a tetra whisper hang on back for additional filtration and flow along with 2 aqua clear powerheads.

Anyway, would it make sense to add a CO2 system. I've read some about it, that sumps are heavy CO2 sinks as well as hang on back filters.

Would I be able to go with an ada CO2 advanced system with a adapter, regulator and a 20lb or 100lb CO2 tank, or is there anything else I would need? Someone is selling one with a solenoid, which to my understanding is just a controller, but it seems I would still want to add a PH probe and attach it to a controller( BMLs is coming out soon).

Thoughts? Assistance?

Should I check to see if a local shop would fill 100lb tanks first? I figure a 100lb tank should last me at least a year with this size tank even with the CO2 loss, correct?

Or should I just scrap the idea and stick with medium tech (ferts, and metricide 14).

Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Also I currently run the BMLs at 100% as I didn't get the manual dimmer as I would figure that I would wait for the controller.

My plan is to run the Finnex planted + for 8-9 hours a day, and have the BMLs slowly scale up over the course of 15 hours, with a peak in the after noon, and have it slowly scale during the entire morning hours at a low %.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
much depends on how convenient you want things. For me, I have one tank with a CO2 controller, one with just a timer for lights and cO2. I would not invest in the controller if redoing. Just not that much help. Convenient but still bares watching and not a real need. I consider a sloenoid which is more a switch or gate rather than a controller, to be needed.
My thoughts on tanks may be different than yours. A 50lb is all I want to wrestle and I find 20 is long lasting enough on my 125. Much less trouble to haul through the house, load in the car, etc.
I do recommend pressure CO2 but admit to it being expensive.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm not expert, but from the little experience I have I can tell you that running the XB BMLs at 100% will provide so many Ámols to your tank that without CO2 you will have more algae than plants I run a single not-XB BML on my 120p (48"x18x18) and on 100% I get at surface level 450 Ámols , at 9" 140 Ámols , at substrate level 70 Ámols. I run mine at 75% max. With two XBs... you probably have 150 Ámols at substrate level.

I initially thought that I must have a pH probe to shutdown my CO2. Soon I realized that I basically had to start it 3 hours before lights on and then switch it off, when my lights go off again. This gives my a 1 pH drop. I kind of needed the probe to understand the timing, but now I run the CO2 with a timer and have the probe only as an emergency measure (shutoff is pH drops more than 1.25 points, just in case).

A 100 lbs tank sounds like overkill. I have a 5 lbs tank and I'm using it for 4 months now. Judging from the weight it's probably nearing being empty. In addition I bought a 20 lbs tank, which I can swap out once the 5 lbs is empty and then swap them as needed. I probably should have gotten another 5lbs tank, because they last a long time and are easier to carry and transport.

Take everything with a grain of salt. I really don't know what I'm talking about

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode