Glosso and dwarf baby tears not growing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/50%)
Glosso and dwarf baby tears not growing

Hello I am new to planted tanks and I am trying to grow glosso and HC but the HC doesnt grow or die. The newly planted glosso is melting alot but I am not sure if that is due to it being new? I have a 10 gallon with flourite and a 72watt t5 fixture that i have on for 8 hours day. I realize the light is alot but I hear that I can make it work as long as I supply the right nutrients. I have co2, floursih, excel, and iron. Can anyone help give me advice on how to get my plants to grow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
More information needed to water parameters, dosing regime, CO2 levels, etc.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am dosing the recommended doses on the Flourish bottles. The Floursih i do 1ml every week. Excel 1 ml every day. Iron 1 ml every day. I have a yeast based co2 injecter but have no idea about my specific co2 levels. My water hardness is very high due to the water in my area. The local fish store told me its like liquid rock and told me people in the area cant even keep neons. Is water hardness possibly harming my plants?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Co2 is. HC needs lots of co2, and even if you have medium-ish light, I've found co2 is the most important thing for growing it. Seems to be the determining factor to whether or not it will carpet or just slowly melt away and die.

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Cut back on the light. Half of that is more appropriate. Light drives the plants consumption of co2 and nutrients.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twone21 View Post
The local fish store told me its like liquid rock and told me people in the area cant even keep neons. Is water hardness possibly harming my plants?
Possibly. Few plants grow well in high kH water. What's the kH?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Not to disappoint you but HC does best to carpet with the dry start method. The plants can easily root in a dry start condition than fully submersed. Glosso would just need medium to high light with A LOT OF CO2. If any of these plants were originally grown emersed, it would take time, few weeks, to transition to the submersed form. Assuming the plants didn't die within the transition period.

You may want to do a search on how to carpet with either Glosso or Baby Tears. You will be shocked in how much you don't know. How much you aren't really prepared to grow them.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Not to disappoint you but HC does best to carpet with the dry start method. The plants can easily root in a dry start condition than fully submersed. Glosso would just need medium to high light with A LOT OF CO2. If any of these plants were originally grown emersed, it would take time, few weeks, to transition to the submersed form. Assuming the plants didn't die within the transition period.

You may want to do a search on how to carpet with either Glosso or Baby Tears. You will be shocked in how much you don't know. How much you aren't really prepared to grow them.
This is not true. It carpets just fine submersed as long as water conditions, CO2, and light are adequate.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
This is not true. It carpets just fine submersed as long as water conditions, CO2, and light are adequate.

Can you define what is "adequate?" I can count more than 20 factors determining what is adequate. The proper CO2 level alone can take a person more than 2 weeks to dial in. What is considered an adequate CO2 level? High enough to inhibit the growth of algae. Just high enough you don't gas your fish. High enough to carpeting plants. For me, this is about 45+ ppm of CO2. It took me 2 years + to fully understand how to derive at this CO2 level "consistently."

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well as an experiment i am resting a patch of HC on top of ludwigia leaves near thr surface of the tank. Guess ill see which patch grows faster lol. The hc is doing wayyy better than the glosso. The glosso is losing alot of leaves and all of it is starting to look a little brown on the edges. My banana plant loses a leaf once a weak but grow another in the exact same spot of the same size... Dont know what going on there. Right now i have 36 watts for 4 hours and 72 for another 4. I will test my water later today
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 03:31 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
What about macro ferts? I saw no mention of them. Just Flourish. Excel and iron. OS.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am not dosing macros. I just ordered some dry ferts. I thought the flourite would have NPK? Anyhow the glosso started growing really fast out of nowhere and the tears very slowly starting to grow.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post

To be quite blunt, the carpeting of HC is pretty easy to do in a submersed form provided that you have the necessary setup. One can do a dry start if they would like, but I have had equal success with both methods.

They key to growing submersed is to keep an eye on the HC, and adjust ferts and CO2 accordingly based on how you are seeing growth. In my experience HC is not a high light demanding plant; it is a high CO2 demanding plant. Getting this plant to carpet is more of a battle in fert adjustment and dialing in CO2 rather than blasting with light.

That said, one can run into significant problems with dry starting HC, including mold, extreme die off once submersed, plants uprooting if not properly given time to grow in dry start state, etc. etc.

Glosso cannot be transitioned well to submersed from. Almost everytime I have tried the dry start to submerse form I lose at least 90% of growth and have extreme rot no matter how much or little CO2/light/ferts are given.

HC carpets also do best with fine grain substrate; I have most success with ADA powder; the larger stuff tends to inhibit lush carpet growth for me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode