Upgraded to new filter, can I remove old? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Upgraded to new filter, can I remove old?

Old filter: Aqueon Quietflow 50
I added a new Eheim 2215 to my 20 gallon tank 1 month ago..
Can I remove the old filter already!?!? Is that enough time to cycle the new Eheim?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Odds are good that you can but there may be other things to ask. How old is the tank? If it is one that has been up and running for a while, there will be a fair amount of good bacteria hanging on all surfaces so that when you remove the old filter you will not be taking all the bacteria out. Also how close to over working the bacteria is the load? A heavy load that was near the crisis level and then takes a small hit will show much worse than a filter that was not working too hard. Kind of an estimate usually. If you can leave the old filter for as long as practical it is somewhat safer. Usually good to test and watch for ammonia for a bit after any mayor change. I would think a month is long enough but it bears watching.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the tank is about 6 months old. I think im gonna take the old filter cartridge and cut it up and put it in the canister filter just in case. In the 20 gallon i have nine neons, 2 danios, 2 small angels, and 3 corydoras.

thanks for your help
anthony

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
You should be able to remove the old filter with out any problems. If you want to be doubly sure tho, it is a good idea to add the media from the old filter into your new canister filter, so you are on the right path with that idea!

Often times when I have to quick start a tank I will take media from an established tank and use it to seed the new aquarium. I set my 55 gallon aquarium up in one evening and added my Red Devil Cichlid, I ran a seeded filter and started with 20 gallons of established and clean aquarium water, with my 75 gallon, I waited two days because the water was cloudy from the substrate. Both of these tanks have been up and running for a couple years now, so they have an established bacteria population in the substrate, so when I have to move I simply save ten gallons from each tank and then set it back up the same day and put my fish back in, I've never had a problem so far.

Best regards,
AQ
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
That's a reasonably small bio load. Using old filter media in the new canister is a great idea and should work just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I only left mine in for about 5 days!, my tank was fine when I took it out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tested water params. No amm or nitrite. And 10 nitrates.

Thanks guys

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode