Preparing Driftwood (Questions) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Preparing Driftwood (Questions)

I know I've seen various threads about this but I am wondering if somebody could clarify what I need to do exactly as I am boiling it.

Do I need to just leave it in the pot while it boils for some set time frame?

Or

Do I need to bring the water to a boil for a few minutes a time and pour off the water, then bring the next batch to a boil for set period of time and pour off (repeat "x" times?)

What has worked for you?

p.s. This is store bought driftwood that was supposedly heat treated but today when I got home it had some weird slimy funk growing on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
I have normally tried to boil it and change the water a few times until most of the tannins have leeched out. Some pieces require more boiling/cleaning than others

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the info...

Gosh, driftwood can really stink up the house lol. I had no idea.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
mine smelled like brewed herbs. boiled mine for about 1 hours, leave it there, then change the water at the next day. after that change the water everyday for about 3-4 days.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 PM

i've tried boiling the wood and drenching it in hot water.

to be honest, if your really afraid of tannins. just boil some water and pour it over the wood bit by bit. scrubbing it at the same time.

it didnt release as much tannins into the water as it did when i boiled them for 5 mins.

however, purigen removes these tannins very effectively. mine cleared off in 2-3 days. and you don't see the yellowish tint until you use a super white bulb and observe the reflection from the panels of glass.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 05:57 AM
Got wood???

PTrader: (208/100%)
If you can fit the piece into a large pot then boil it for a few hours, adding water as necessary. I let mine dry for a day or two then boil again to try and get as much tannins out as possible. For larger pieces emptying your water heater via the discharge valve and garden hose over it works well. Beware the hose gets really hot.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 06:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to slickwillislim
Wow I must be lazy. I just brushed most of the dirt off and some of the bark...

I payed the price though. Between new aquasoil and all the fresh driftwood my tank looks like a cup of tea and I changed half the water once already since I set it up sunday night.

I might have to find some purigen, sounds like good stuff.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info everybody, this is why I was asking about boiling it.

Quote:
This is store bought driftwood that was supposedly heat treated but today when I got home it had some weird slimy funk growing on it?
Hmmm, I know I didn't write "This is store" to start that sentance. I think this forum changes words to protect our identity or something.

Anyway I'm ok with the tannins for now, but its good info for future tanks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano Nano View Post
Thanks for the info everybody, this is why I was asking about boiling it.

Quote:
This is store bought driftwood that was supposedly heat treated but today when I got home it had some weird slimy funk growing on it?
Hmmm, I know I didn't write "This is store" to start that sentance. I think this forum changes words to protect our identity or something.

Anyway I'm ok with the tannins for now, but its good info for future tanks.
Perhaps it was edited by a moderator to improve clarity.
The slimy goop is fungus, it will be there for a week or two, just brush it off with a clean unused toothbrush if it bothers you or gets too thick.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:00 AM

I just went through this with some African root wood. The piece I wanted was already in a tank at my lfs but they sold it to me anyway. It had been in their tank for about six months. I went ahead and boiled it anyway in case there were any nasties hiding in there from the lfs and to leach out more of the tannins. The wood didn't exactly fit in this old pot I have but I found by covering the protruding piece completely in aluminum foil, the part that was not submerged was basically steamed. Then I flipped it a few times so the previously protruding piece was not submerged. After boiling about two hours, the water was not that discolored (probably since it was already in a tank for six months). After boiling, I also scrubbed it with a new, stiff toothbrush under running hot water to remove the algae, etc. from the lfs. It turned out real nice.

Good luck!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode