129g Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
129g Tank

Hello, I was hoping I could get a little bit of help with my upcoming tank.

It is 129g 72"x18"x23".

We're going to be getting Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED+ lights.
I'm not sure if it matters in what sizes they'll go on the tank, as my father is paying and we'd save money doing a 48" and a 24".

I'm not sure what level of lighting this consists of..I thought it'd be low but a friend said moderate?

Here is a list of plants I've gathered from a low light thread on here that I like.

Background
Banana plant (Nymphoides Aquatica)
Watersprite (Ceratopteris Thalictroides)
Amazon Sword (Echinodorus Amazonicus)
Aponogeton Ulvaceus (Aponogeton Ulvaceus)

Midground
Melon Sword (Echinodorus Osiris)
Red Ludwigia (Ludwigia Repens)

Foreground
Red Cryptocoryne (Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Red')
Tiger Lotus (Nymphaea Lotus 'Zenkeri')
Four Leaf Clover/Water Shamrock (Marsilea Quadrifolia)

Floating
Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium Laevigatum)

Attached
Java Moss (Taxiphyllum Barbieri)
Java Fern (Microsorum Pteropus)
African Water Fern (Bolbitis Heudelotii)
Anubias -- Not sure what kind to get, all look the same to me

Could these grow without co2 with the lighting I'll have?
Substrate will be caribsea black sand.

I can do some ferts I think if I need to but the only thing I've ever done is add root tabs and only just recently added my first ones to my 55g, so would need help on what to get, how much to dose, when to dose, etc.

Is this a nice arrangement of plants? Too much, too little?

Thank you

*Edit* Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I think my questions go over a few sections so thought it may be best to just put it in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone? Even an "I don't know" is better than nothing.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
with that many plants you are def going to want co2, it not only helps the plants but it keeps algae at bay, and with that lighting you will have an algae problem within like 3 weeks if no co2, your plant plans are good except for I would remove the apongeton, that thing will get so big it will block out all the sun for the other plants. water sprite will take over and need trimming like every week with that lighting so id remove it also if it were me.

-Jacklyn

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pressurized co2 or just liquid co2? That'd be flourish excel right?
What other ferts would I need to add? Have never done ferts so not sure when, what, or how much. Very new and confusing for me!

I have this light on my 55g since Christmas, no algae problems as yet.
Not sure how long it takes for that to start..

I had that aponogeton in my 20g long and it was beautiful, but then died one day. Someone told me they go dormant, is this true? It never came back for months so I pulled it out and threw it away.

I can trim each week if necessary, though am not super attached to the watersprite since I already have some in my 55g.

The way you talk it sounds like this lighting is quite good?
I was worried and thought it'd be considered a low light.

Thank you for responding btw! I am not saying you're wrong at all I just like to get lots of clarification on things.

*Edit* I forgot to ask in OP if a UV sterilizer will affect anything. Actually think I've read it helps kill algae?
And we ordered two 36" of those lights

Last edited by Ninjouzata; 01-29-2014 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Forgot to add
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I would look into 'dirting' the tank, there is some good advice and there is some questionable advice.

if you go this route I would not use soil, some have luck and some have messes. I would use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix (MGOPM) not 'Soil' , the Mix is different.

Get maybe 3 small bags for that big tank and hand pick out all the large chuncks. put in the tank. cover with a layer of pure clay cat litter.add enough water to just barely cover the litter...or batter yet a little bit less.

just barely is not 1" of visible water.

push down on the litter pottimg mix to release air pockets.

I would say drink a beer but if your dad is paying maybe you are too young. have a pop tart or whatever, just give the mix sometime to absorb some water. I would wait an hour, overnight works just as well.

Now add the cap. at least 1.5" fill with water to just cover the cap or a bit less and push down. now fill the tank 1/2 to the top. plant you plants and fill the rest of the way up.

with this you need minimal fertilization, I have a similar setup and dose 1/8 tsp a week of micros and 1 tbsp a week of potassium.

but it can still be messy to replant. the clay kitty litter will hopefully help this a bit.

co2. get it, it will help, regardless. pressurized is better, I use the liquid. do some searches Glut is the same stuff but twice as strong, twice as much and half the price.
....so what is that 1/8 the cost? I would start small with glut 1ml a day for a few days then 2 for a few days then 3 for a few days....work up to about 15ml and you will be good

20L My Other Tank: OEBT Shrimp
40B Inlaws Tank: 2 goldfish
75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjouzata View Post
Hello, I was hoping I could get a little bit of help with my upcoming tank.

It is 129g 72"x18"x23".

Is this a nice arrangement of plants? Too much, too little?

Thank you

*Edit* Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I think my questions go over a few sections so thought it may be best to just put it in general.

nice arrangement? it depends how you arrange it everyone seems to plant to lightly at first and that causes issues. so plant heavily.

75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The black sand for the tank has already been purchased.
Your advice about the soil isn't wasted though since I can always try that in the future, would definitely like to

I had been told that adding co2 without dosing other nutrients will cause the plants to suffer and that I'll get algae.

Can you give a hint as to where Glut is purchased? I can't find anything about it.

By nice arrangement I meant potentially could these plants look good together, such as with their colors/shapes/textures.
I'm sure it'll look silly since I'm not good at aquascaping :/

Thank you for the detailed response btw!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

google "metricide" 14 is what you want not 28
omnicide is the same, again 14 day not 28

You have to consider shiiping in the price, amazon, ebay, I ordered mone from a medical supply store(online) but forgot which one.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any more thoughts on this? I do appreciate ya'lls responses to those who have answered so far but I am trying to get as many opinions as possible to get a better idea of what I'll need to do. >.< Thank you
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I heard that glut or metricide 14 should not be considered a substitute for pressurized co2. It might be more beneficial for you to get the pressurized co2 instead. However, it will cost more than metricide 14.

As for the light, considering the height of your tank, you will have very low light not moderate as your friend suggest. What is the depth of your substrate? is it 3-4 inches?? If you want the swords to flourish, you need a deep substrate.

Using dirt is a good idea because it will provide much needed nutrients for your plants especially since you have nutrient hogs like swords and watersprite. However, dirt can get messy if you like to rearrange and move your plants around.

Also, what hardscape (driftwood,rocks) are you using? An all plant aqauscape, in my opinion, is not really appealing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

We can't afford pressurized co2, I don't think. Nor are we anywhere near ready to even try it, unfortunately.

I don't have the substrate in the tank yet. We have 13 20lb bags I think.
We need some of it to roll some PVC in though to make caves that blend in.

The black sand is my favorite, we have it all our tanks. It is most definitely being used in this tank since we've already bought it and it will bring out the green colors in the bichirs we're getting. I'd love to do dirt in the future in another tank though.

I havn't gotten any driftwood or rocks yet. I'm trying to think of about what size wood to get and such..I have some favorites I've picked out off of a website that sells manzanita.

The PVC caves for the layout I was thinking a pyramid of 3 in the middle. They'd be 10" long and each are 4" in diameter. So I suppose 8" wide, 10" long, and 8" high pyramid?
Then on each side, pointing inwards from the back corners, a 12" long pvc pipe, that is also 4" in diameter.

If that doesn't make sense I can throw it together on paint to give you an idea. I don't know how good this is going to look but it's the only idea I've come up with. We already have the PVC, and we need to have caves for the stock that I'll have.

Thank you very much for responding!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode