BAD RO Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
BAD RO Water

I have some very sad news for everyone. I have lost just about all of my discus and other fish in my planted tank. I did my regular 50% water change today. I get my RO water from a LFS I dont know if it could have been bad or not. I took the water out of my tank and replaced it with heated RO water. With in 5mins of finishing I seen one of my cardinal tetras was dead. Then another one then another one. Next thing I knew two of my discus were dead. I have started heave airation on the tank but I dont know what else to do. Someone please help me. And its to late to get more water for them to do another water change. I tested my water and everything is right where its supost to be.

PH 6.2
Kh 1
Gh 5
CO2 20ppm
Fe .1
NO2 0
NO3 20
Temp 84.5

I hope this helps

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
If there was no parameter fluctuation, it must have been contaminated. In the middle of the night no less, -smacks forehead-. I think I would put my fish through a very quick drip acclimation over to tap water if they were dying that fast and I had no other option. Something is killing them fast in there and it may be your only option for saving them. Try to get them settled in buckets until you can get some RO from somewhere else and acclimate them back. I wouldn't put more than one least expensive fish back in the tank at a time after you get all the water replaced, you may end up having to nuke the whole thing depending on what got in there.

I would seriously take the rest of that water and my dead fish to the LFS and ask for some major store credit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I would agree with Jaidexl. Considering the amount of chaos and loss that this ordeal has caused for you, have you considered getting your own RO filter to use for the water changes yourself? I have one that I bought off of ebay that I use exclusively for water changes and top offs. Sorry to hear about you fish man.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Agreed, I have one myself. Although, I would have gone the cheaper ebay rout rather than the Typhoon III if I had a chance to do it over again, but I was also buying for a reef tank, had extra cash, and wanted a local company. It's here now though, so I guess I enjoy it, sure would be nice to have that extra $180 floating around now, though. I would definitely have one for a discus tank.

At the least, check out local grocery stores for RO refill stations. We have them that fill a gallon for 35 cents or 5gl for like 2.50. I played that jug lugging game for a while before I broke down and bought an RO/DI for the house.

I hope you come back with some good news.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well its all done and over with. My total losses were 2 red turq discus, 10 cardnial tetras, 3 corycats. I did a quick change over to tap water and that seemed to stop them from dieing. I went and found a RO/DI unit in a add so Im going to go pick it up (really cheep Ken Maxxima Hi-F for only $80). I will never have to go through that again and if I do all I can blame is myself for it. I do plan on going to the LFS and yell and scream about what happened. Plus the bad part is I got the water earlyer that day. I brought it home and stated to heat it. I got busy doing a few other things that is why I ended up doing my water change at 9pm. Way after all the stores close to get new.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Algae Grower

"I do plan on going to the LFS and yell and scream about what happened."

Lol, that's what I would do!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I went to the store and yelled and screamed at them. They ended up testing there water and found out that something went wrong and that it was there bad. The owner said that he would give me instore credit to make up for it. To bad its a salt water only fish store.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Man, that really stinks. I hope you eventually get your money's worth out of that store one way or another.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Im going to take it all in filter floss I think. And everyonce and a while some frozen blood worms.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It might be worth asking the seller if he has access to a fresh water fish wholesaler. I used to work in an exotic pet store and our salt and fresh water wholesalers were right next to each other. He might be able to pick up some fresh water fish for you. You would probably have to pick them up the same day without letting them aclimate to the store tanks though.

The other thing is that he WILL have access to freshwater dry supplies. He might not carry them, but he should be able to get a hold of just about anything you might want.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Really sorry to hear about this. You should make them give you an RO unit.
Maybe time for a nice nano set-up?

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm glad they didn't try to give you the run around on the bad water and try to blame it on you. At least they are honest folks.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
I'm glad they didn't try to give you the run around on the bad water and try to blame it on you. At least they are honest folks.
Well, the thing is, and I hate to say this, but MadFish loss may have saved them some money. If somebody with an established reef were to come in yelling and screaming I suspect they would be out quite a few more dollars.

What BiscuitSlayer said. I'd be quite surprised if they couldn't order you something.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Im just happy that they took the blam for it. Plus what I go through the most is bloodworms so thats good. Plus Im looking at getting some new lights from them. They said that I can get it at their cost. Plus I was looking to up grade one of my tanks lights. As for if it would have been somebody with a large reef tank they would have been up the creek with out a paddle for how much money they would have lost then. But I dont have to worry about that anymore now that I have my own RO set up. That I just need to hook up now.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfish View Post
Im just happy that they took the blam for it. Plus what I go through the most is bloodworms so thats good. Plus Im looking at getting some new lights from them. They said that I can get it at their cost. Plus I was looking to up grade one of my tanks lights. As for if it would have been somebody with a large reef tank they would have been up the creek with out a paddle for how much money they would have lost then. But I dont have to worry about that anymore now that I have my own RO set up. That I just need to hook up now.

Heh, if that water was bad and crashed my reef tank, they'd owe me $8,000. Speaking of which, I have to go make me some instant noodles for lunch cuz that's all I can afford right now!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode