co2 or eco complete - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
co2 or eco complete

ok im on a buget in my next tank should i have a cheep co2 system or just that enricheds gravel, like eco complete
what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
What size tank?

What's your lighting?

What are your goals? High tech/high light/Co2?

What substrate do you have now?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Depends what co2 your taking about pressurized or yeast based.
And how much of a Budget are you on

if your budget is low like say 24.00 and if that is what you plan on only using
Get Eco complete and go Low tech
and what epic said >=

One month in.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenbarb View Post
Get a Eco complete and go lowtech.
Why? The OP is asking for CO2. Which means they probably thinking of something other than low-tech.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Right. Choose if you are doing a high-tech (pressurized Co2) or low-tech (no pressurized Co2) tank first. Go from there. You can do either, same rules apply (balance fish load=plant load=Co2=light=fertilizers), just low tech and high tech tanks have different %'s on the rule sets (low tech, less ferts, less light, less Co2). Also less water changes on low tech. There's a sub-forum for Low Tech tanks. Most folks here do EI (estimate index) and high-tech, more gadgets ($), both have benefits.

And yah, $25 for a bag of Eco won't buy you pressurized Co2, so probably better off going Low tech and getting the Eco and just read up in the low tech forum on the different ways to do those tanks instead of the high tech tanks that most people here do.

Oh, and but LOTS AND LOTS of (stem) plants to start with to *try* and fend off algae problems

NOTE: To do a *SEARCH* and get the answer you want, its often best to go to "Advanced Search" and search in the title only.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
http://www.rexgrigg.com

Read this thoroughly.

I think the OP is confused about CO2 and enriched substrates. Enriched substrates are not a substitute for CO2. They provide different things. In your situation, I would opt for eco-complete, because a cheap (pressurized) CO2 system has a higher chance of failing on you and killing all your fish. If you were to do DIY (actually cheap) CO2, then you wouldn't really be spending much money at all on the system. But, you would have to feed the system every month, which will eventually add up. So, go with eco-complete, low light, and no/DIY CO2.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 07:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
There are some other substrate options if you're on a small budget. Soil, clay absorbents and field dressings, sand or gravel with root tabs, check out the substrate forum for all the options. Twenty something dollars a bag isn't that bad for smaller tanks, just be aware that there are cheaper options.

DIY CO2 is a good idea on a budget if you're willing to do the work.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
i just would like my plants to grow, its a 5 gallon tank
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Ok, nevermind. One bag of Eco isn't going to kill your wallet. Most of the cheaper options come in a huge bag big enough to fill ten 5gls to the rim.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well if you need substrate I assume you have plants thate root in them in right?

If you only had floating/non-substrate rooting plants, then no substrate needed!

Plants can live with most kinds of substrate, and C02 is naturally present, albeit in limited concentration. So I think if you're on a tight budget and want fast growing, healthy plants, get some nice substrate with cheaper substrate as a filler. Then DIY C02 or something.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
If you want Plants to grow you need co2, If u Want Green good plants get Eco

One month in.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
You do not need c02 to grow plants. if you want lots of plants in the 5g that you want to trim alot yes you will need c02 but if just want minimual mant. plants that require low light then you will not need co2. If you want just add excel and that will give them co2. in my 29g Ive had up for over 2 years and it has never had co2 on it.

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Stop giving out bad advice!

Like knuerd said, you don't need CO2 for plants to grow. Especially in such a small tank, I'd get some Eco-Complete or Flourite and dose Excel.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (95/100%)
in such a small tank I would go with the Eco complete and do a low tech -maybe add some excel once in a while. That's what I did with my 5 gal the next one will be Au Natural-Dirt:0
Cindy

Cynthia
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think you need to first start with your lighting. If you're going high light then you'll need some carbon supplement. Be it CO2 or Flourish excel. I personally have a low-tech non-CO2 setup. Plants are growing albeit slower than a CO2 enriched high light tank. For me that's perfect because I don't want to spend a lot of time trimming back plants.

Unfortunately just saying that you want plants to grow is not the question you need to ask. Truth is people have grown plants in something as simple as a plastic tub sitting on a window sill. The primary questions are how much time do you want to invest in maintenance, how much growth do you want, and what kind of plants do you want. Answer these questions and then you'll find the right setup.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode