First Post, looking for general advise - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
First Post, looking for general advise

Hello everyone.

I am sorta new to the planted tank thing. Had my 45gallon hex up for about a year but was mostly just working with those at my lfs to get all my advise and information. Found this forum about 2 months ago and have been reading and learning a lot so i thought i would say hello.

My current tank is a 45 hex, so it is 24" tall and 24" wide point to point. It has a 200watt t5 fixture above it. (8 24 watt bulbs. 4-6500k 3-10,000k 1-20,000k) Also i have a pressurized CO2 system on it.

Livestock is fairly simple, after an unexplained crash in July I have 2 Angel Fish and 1 Black Knife. Will probably keep the fish load very light, just these guys with plenty of room to grow. Hoping when the angels reach maturity i will have been lucky enough to pick a male and female, though at the moment i am thinking they both might be female.

For a long time i was using an under gravel filter, which i have been learning more and more isn't optimal for planted tanks. So i have a xp3 hooked up to it now (with a coralife 6x 18v uv sterilizer inline the return.) I am running the under gravel still while i cycle the ceramic rings in the new filter at which point i will pull those power heads.

What i am looking for now is suggestions on plants, i am needing a good ground cover, and some mid height plants. I really like Green and Red Temple in the background but it grows so tall and so fast, i am looking for something to provide some different texture.

If anyone has any suggestions for improvements to my system that would be much appreciated, also anyone with ideas on how to switch substraits without breaking my tanks cycle would also be welcome. =)

Thanks in advance!

~Rand

45 Gallon Hex- Pressurized Co2, High Light, 2 Angels, 1 Black Knife
20 Gallon- No Plants- Beta
29 Gallon- No Plants- Guppy Breeding
55 Gallon- Low Tech Sand Bottom and Bamboo Garden
55 Gallon- Low Tech Java fern and Moss- RCS Tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Rand,
Welcome to the board!

To swap your substrate do a SEARCH for "changing change substrate" I just did it a few weeks ago, all steps included...

For carpets, well, seems like you've got some decent light so pretty much most things open to you. I'd do a search for "Carpet plants" (go to "advanced search and search by title only) and look at what everyone else has done, see some pics etc

Good luck

NOTE: To do a *SEARCH* and get the answer you want, its often best to go to "Advanced Search" and search in the title only.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 06:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
One thing you can do to swap substrates is to place your old substrate in a mesh bag and place it in the tank along with the new substrate for a few weeks. It seems like you are much better equipped than most people starting out with planted tanks, keep reading!

http://www.rexgrigg.com
http://www.barrreport.com/you-new-aq...ts-start-here/

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode